Make a donation

Author Topic: My08 Battery Drain  (Read 1235 times)

Offline frost255

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
My08 Battery Drain
« on: August 09, 2019, 12:29:31 pm »
So, I installed a rcd 340 or 340a or whatever the name is (the one with the apple play) into my 08 GTI. Ever since then the battery seems to be weak or playing up, especially if I don't drive the car for a number of days. Ive heard about the Canbus gateway being too old, but people said 08 builds should be right. I've double check my revision on the car through OBDEvelen and it says its 1k0907530L - which apparently is the revision (or higher) that solves the issue. Maybe I have a dying battery?

The indicator on top of the battery is showing green so I think it's right and my servicing place said it was fine about last November - any ideas what else could be causing the drain?

The drain can be so bad sometimes the car will just not turn over one bit after maybe 3-4 days of non-use - also had the ignition on the other day for about 20 minutes (radio + aircon) after a 15km drive to work and the car barely started

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: My08 Battery Drain
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 09:32:29 am »
I had a similar prob with my Mk5 after 2 new batteries it was corrosion between a live and earth going into fuse box. Cleaned with a toothbrush and some switch cleaner Parked for 12 days started first turn

Offline frost255

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 03:17:34 am »
Okay thanks - just so I know what your on about - the live and earth wires from the battery into the fusebox? and the engine one I presume?

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 10:53:33 am »
If you take the cover off the under bonnet f/box there are  alternate red and black connections check for green corrosion between terminals

Offline frost255

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 12:21:25 pm »
Ok thanks. I may have found the cause of the drain - my glovebox funny enough wasnt touching the switch behind it when it was closed and the light would stay on inside. Would you think this could have caused drain or does the glovebox light turn off after a while once the cars locked?