Make a donation

Author Topic: Possible turbo failure??  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98436.0.html
Possible turbo failure??
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:47:59 pm »
Hi all...

Car has a BWA engine that’s done 87k miles, no bolt on mods at all, standard intake, exhaust PCV etc etc

Pretty sure it’s been remapped before my ownership just because it does pull well and feels quicker than standard ones I’ve driven in the past but not a lot quicker just slightly so I’d guess it’s like a mild map.

I’ve known that it’s got an oil leak somewhere for about a week as I’ve seen oil on top of the gearbox and had the odd wiff of oil inside the car when driving but just not had time to investigate so kept an eye on the oil level and it’s not used/lost anymore than they normally do.

Driving to work earlier and I could smell oil vapour or burning oil inside the car, I had just been giving the car a little bit of a blast. It smelt stronger than before so when I got in to the work car park I popped the bonnet and noticed more oil on top of the gearbox and oil burning on the down pipe.

Went to the back of the car and there’s a film of oil across the bodywork on the rear end.

Didn’t think to check the exhaust to see if it came from there... I’ve not noticed any smoke comeing from the exhaust at all and it doesn’t feel like it’s lossed power?

I’m sat in work rattling my brain thinking it’s probably the turbo but obviously won’t be able to check until I’m back.

Anyone else got any ideas what they think it could be?
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match
22 a3 s-line competition 45 tfsiE
09 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (road going track sl*g)

Offline Ricky123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98436.0.html
Re: Possible turbo failure??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 03:30:01 am »
Quick update for anyone who may have a similar issue now or in the future...

I believe it’s the PCV that’s faulty, causing excess pressure inside the engine and causing oil to leak out of wherever it can.

I’ll be fitting a new PCV tomorrow, jet washing the engine off and then monitoring it. I’ll update this thread with what happens.
56 mk5 ed30 3dr
57 mk5 1.9 TDi match
22 a3 s-line competition 45 tfsiE
09 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (road going track sl*g)

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:13 am »
Pcv could well be the culprit mate. Give it a go and monitor it. Hose connections sometimes leak oil due to the boost seals, they’re not very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 06:13:36 pm »
Oil dripping onto the gearbox is usually from a failed vacuum pump seal.  Get a dentist mirror and have a gander with it under the vacuum pump area.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D