Make a donation

Author Topic: First MK5  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Booga

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
First MK5
« on: August 18, 2019, 09:17:23 pm »
Good evening all,

I have just purchased my first MK5 GTI which I intend to use as a daily driver after having to sell my previous car for a garage fund.I managed to get a standard 5 door DSG Tornado red last week and so far I absolutely love it. It was cheap but did need a number of things doing and tidying up.

So far I have replaced the drivers window regulator as this was not working at all, replaced the light and window switches as these were horrendously scratched and had very little paint left on them and the best improvement so far was replacing the diverter valve. When i first drove it i thought it was a bit flat and something wasn't quite right so I looked on this forum and saw everyone talking about them so thought its worth a try, when I took the old one off it had more split than rubber! Since the new one is on it feels amazing.

Still left to do is replace the two front wings, get the bumper sprayed as someone has had it sprayed in a too dark red and I would also like to upgrade the stereo to give DAB and Bluetooth.

I have tried to find some used wings in tornado red but have had no joy with rust free ones so I'm now looking for recommendations on wings and bodyshops in the Ayrshire area, any suggestions? I have also seen this ad on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-VW-Golf-MK5-2004-09-DRIVER-PASSENGER-WINGS-PAINTED-LY3D-Tornado-Red/263759257265?fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item3d6946deb1:g:rxEAAOSwdxZbI55U for prepainted wings, has anyone tried these and know what the quality and colour match is like?

Also I have been reading about the updated can bus gateway that I would need if I want to upgrade the stereo from the standard RCD 300, anyone know of anywhere in ayrshire where this can be done, or is this something I can get precoded and sent to me?

Apologies for the first long post and here are the photographs.......

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

Offline Booga

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: First MK5
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 09:55:28 am »
  For some reason I messed up the photographs, lets try again

Offline GTiWILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hpmlf5l1s8bcuopu3840u0l0r0&/topic,120945.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 07:13:39 am »
Looks quite clean that, enjoy!

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:20:26 am »
Let the journey begin  :wink:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 12:31:33 pm »
I think someone else on here had bought those wings from ebay and said they needed some fettling to fit.

They are loads cheaper than genuine wings.

I have just bought two genuine wings as mine need replacing.

Offline Booga

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 11:16:51 pm »
Cheers for the replies guys,

I must admit I would rather put on genuine wings but am trying to keep the costs down, as you sat they are a lot cheaper. All the used tornado red wings seem to be rusty, so if anyone knows of any good used tornado red wings for sale please let me know.

Found another small problem yesterday, the car doesn't realise that the drivers door is open, so have ordered a new latch mechanism as I'm assuming the microswitch is goosed. That's now the job for the weekend.

I really need to get the stereo changed out, the sound quality on the standard rcd300 is pretty poor, just need a new can bus.