Make a donation

Author Topic: Transferring Old VHS tapes to DVD / Digital  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Transferring Old VHS tapes to DVD / Digital
« on: August 30, 2019, 01:21:47 pm »
I have some videos of the kids when they were young un's (30's now), that I want to transfer across to DVD or Digital.

I was thinking of buying a VHS / DVD recorder off ebay etc to copy them across simply on one machine, to save cables etc, but can just imagine the 'precious' vhs recordings getting all chewed up by some dodgy old sh#te of a unit that someone is flogging on ebay.

Any thoughts / suggestions, please?
Cheers

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
Re: Transferring Old VHS tapes to DVD / Digital
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 01:48:43 pm »
Asda do tape to dvd but it's expensive if you've got lots of tapes. They charge £27 for a 4hr tape, but I think that's per tape.  I'd guess you have videos spread over lots of shorter tapes.

I'm in the same situation, but my dad's got a vhs player and a Panasonic DVR that you can connect together.  Failing that you could borrow a vhs player from someone that works and hook it up to your PC with an external USB video capture card for about £20.

PFMC84

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:17:20 pm »
I got an adapter from Amazon for around £20 an it works perfectly for converting my old VHS tapes to my hard drive for putting on YouTube or burning to DVD.

PFMC84

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 09:09:52 am »
Just to follow up on the above, this is the one I bought (though it was cheaper lat year when I got it) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-2-PC-Capture-Windows-Camcorder-transfer/dp/B0049BE3TA/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=VHS+TO+MP4&qid=1568707664&sr=8-5

I also bought a old VHS off a local ad and tested it so I knew it would work fine with my tapes, then it was just a case of connecting it up and playing the tape whilst the adapter did the rest. Would recommend it definitely.

Offline corradovr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 09:13:17 am »
anyone know of any software that will clean up the quality of the old video