Make a donation

Author Topic: Pirelli edition turbo seized  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Redmax90

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Pirelli edition turbo seized
« on: September 21, 2019, 03:00:27 pm »
Hello everyone, I’m new on here because I really need some advise.
I’ve recently bought a lovely 5 door dsg Pirelli edition... rather than bore you all with the details I’ll get to the point...

Basically, 08 gti Pirelli byd
89k miles, serviced 1500 miles ago using Fuchs pro race 5-40...car is perfect apart from a high oil useage. I’d be having to top up weekly without fail. I changed the pcv and dug deeper to changing the rocker cover assembly. All new gen parts. The internal rocker cover was indeed split along the bonded seem so i thought I’d at last solved the issue. Unfortunately, on the drive home, the turbo was a little noisier than normal... I inspected all the clips took the cover off, checked the hoses and the pcv. Nothing wrong, oil level good.  took it a drive and noise still there but noticing a loss of power now. I suspected diverter valve. However, the wife broke down the following morning after less than a mile. The local vw guys towed it in. The turbo is seized!!!!! I work in a Land Rover garage so I’m mechanically minded but I can fathom *** has happened 😩
I should also add that up until this the car was smokey under hard acceleration. And the turbo has seized less than 50 miles after changing the rocker cover and pcv
What’s your thoughts? Much appreciated
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 03:04:43 pm by Redmax90 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Pirelli edition turbo seized
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 04:12:34 pm »
Difficult to say what the cause was without knowing the full history of the car.  89K is way too soon for a standard turbo to die. Was it modified before you got it? 

You can save a few hundred quid off the dealer price for a new turbo from these guys - https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/2-0-tfsi-k04-borgwarner-turbocharger-06f-145-702-c.html

Stick that on and it should be golden again.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D