Make a donation

Author Topic: Groaning noise from Jetta when hard turning at low speeds  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Ravenbutt

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Groaning noise from Jetta when hard turning at low speeds
« on: September 06, 2019, 03:26:49 pm »
Hey guys,

New to this forum, so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have a MKV Jetta and recently I've noticed that when somewhat hard turning at low speeds (like turning left out of a junction etc.), there is a groaning noise.

The noise is essentially identical to the one found in this video:

As far as I can tell, it seems like the noise goes away whenever I put in the clutch, but I haven't been able to fully test that to say it's for definite.

The video above was found in a forum wherein the OP said that it was caused by water contamination in the gearbox oil and was rectified by flushing and filling the oil a few times. Could this be the likely culprit? I'd be afraid to flush the gearbox oil, however, as I have heard of problems arising when changing the gearbox oil.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: Groaning noise from Jetta when hard turning at low speeds
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 08:54:34 am »
Either it’s too early on a Monday morning or I just can’t get my head around why the gear box could be making that kind of sound when turning? Is the steering smooth all the way or does it feel like it’s binding at all (for example: snapped spring) and the power steering is moaning because it’s working harder than it should be. Almost like the same noise your steering would make once it’s fully locked and you hold it locked. Guess it only makes the sound when moving? Weird one tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 09:37:11 am »
I can't offer any help but I have also noticed my gti making a noise with a hard right turn at slow speeds (pulling out of a junction etc) but mine doesn't go away with the clutch pressed. I was thinking it could be subframe bolts needed replaced?

Offline Ravenbutt

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 02:32:44 pm »
Either it’s too early on a Monday morning or I just can’t get my head around why the gear box could be making that kind of sound when turning? Is the steering smooth all the way or does it feel like it’s binding at all (for example: snapped spring) and the power steering is moaning because it’s working harder than it should be. Almost like the same noise your steering would make once it’s fully locked and you hold it locked. Guess it only makes the sound when moving? Weird one tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a bit of a weird issue, but I decided to get the gearbox oil changed anyway. Even if it didn't fix the problem, I don't think the oil was changed by the previous owner, so it was good to get changed anyway. But lo and behold, it fixed the issue! From what I was told on the vwaudiforum, it is a known (known is a bit of a push, I spent hours even finding that video I linked above) issue with the 6 speed manual transmission wherein the old gearbox oil causes the diff to groan when turning at low speeds.

So for anyone experiencing this issue and can barely find any posts about it online, definitely try changing your gearbox oil. You may need to fully flush it but I didn't have to.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:36:11 pm by Ravenbutt »

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 04:43:46 pm »
well it makes sense and I never thought it'd be that. nice to know you got it fixed though. thanks for sharing the info.  :happy2: