Make a donation

Author Topic: World mental health day 2019  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
World mental health day 2019
« on: September 10, 2019, 11:04:04 pm »
Hello all,

Heavy topic, but just wanted to highlight this if you haven't seen it on tv. I am posting up for my car buddy friend John who I lost in Feb 2016...   

https://www.samaritans.org/support-us/campaign/world-suicide-prevention-day/

There was never any indication or anything found leading to his action. We & his partner never knew or found anything that he was struggling, even in the inquest.

Just talk is all I can say...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline juligrat

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: World mental health day 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 01:25:58 pm »
Is this every year event?

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 08:15:48 pm »
Yes, it's every year on 10th October...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 12:31:32 am »
Topic close to my heart as Ihave bi-polar diisorder, since 2012.  :stupid:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 12:51:08 pm »
Sorry to hear that Gary.  It's close to my heart as well because my cousin took his own life shortly after being diagnosed with it. 

I'm glad the world has woken up to mental health as it's very distressing and confusing for people who feel something isn't quite right in themselves, but don't know what it is. The depression spectrum is vast, with a huge range of symptoms.  People suffering from a general 'low mood' often write it off as just that, and it will get over it, it's just a phase, but it's always best to seek out professional help if dark thoughts become all encompassing.

All I can say is, do more of the things that make you feel good, try not to worry about things beyond your control and only put chemicals and drugs into your body if absolutely necessary, as they can mess with your head even more if you have a fragile mind.  And for the love of god, stay away from social media and mainstream news  :grin:  Nobody needs that poisonous misery in their lives!

I do have some theories as to why mental suffering is on the rise, and it's mainly surrounding evolution of the human race.  Nothing in our daily lives is a life or death situation anymore.  We don't have to grow/kill/prepare our own food. We don't have to build our own houses or chop down trees to heat ourselves. We don't have to evade predatory animals, or sword wielding hoards trying to steal our castles. We don't have to worry about capital punishment or harsh penalties for anything other than murder/manslaughter.  The biggest thing a lot of us have to worry about now is what to watch on Netflix. I think because of this shift in how we live, the area of our brains that was once occupied with survival, has been replaced with unimportant clutter, which has consequently lead onto a constant need for gratification and sweating the small stuff.

Anyway, that's just my theory and not trying to down play the topic at hand.  The biggest concern is mental health seems to a big problem for young folk, with their whole lives ahead of them, getting bogged down in social media and peer approval.

Hmmmm, I do apologise for the Friday deepness......back to cars!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline James Woodward

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 08:00:21 pm »
Sorry to hear that Gary.  It's close to my heart as well because my cousin took his own life shortly after being diagnosed with it. 

I'm glad the world has woken up to mental health as it's very distressing and confusing for people who feel something isn't quite right in themselves, but don't know what it is. The depression spectrum is vast, with a huge range of symptoms.  People suffering from a general 'low mood' often write it off as just that, and it will get over it, it's just a phase, but it's always best to seek out professional help if dark thoughts become all encompassing.

All I can say is, do more of the things that make you feel good, try not to worry about things beyond your control and only put chemicals and drugs into your body if absolutely necessary, as they can mess with your head even more if you have a fragile mind.  And for the love of god, stay away from social media and mainstream news  :grin:  Nobody needs that poisonous misery in their lives!

I do have some theories as to why mental suffering is on the rise, and it's mainly surrounding evolution of the human race.  Nothing in our daily lives is a life or death situation anymore.  We don't have to grow/kill/prepare our own food. We don't have to build our own houses or chop down trees to heat ourselves. We don't have to evade predatory animals, or sword wielding hoards trying to steal our castles. We don't have to worry about capital punishment or harsh penalties for anything other than murder/manslaughter.  The biggest thing a lot of us have to worry about now is what to watch on Netflix. I think because of this shift in how we live, the area of our brains that was once occupied with survival, has been replaced with unimportant clutter, which has consequently lead onto a constant need for gratification and sweating the small stuff.

Anyway, that's just my theory and not trying to down play the topic at hand.  The biggest concern is mental health seems to a big problem for young folk, with their whole lives ahead of them, getting bogged down in social media and peer approval. Also I strongly recommend to have a look at this article.   

Hmmmm, I do apologise for the Friday deepness......back to cars!
Unfortunately depression was coonsidered as serious illness only several years ago and now people fully understand that this illness needs thorough medication. It is really great that modern medicine provides some dependable drugs against depression.  :congrats:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 01:54:11 pm by James Woodward »