Make a donation

Author Topic: CAT S project complete, now AWD conversion ??  (Read 1958 times)

Offline FranticG

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
CAT S project complete, now AWD conversion ??
« on: September 25, 2019, 04:00:50 pm »
Hi all,

Mid last year, I brought myself a project in the form of a CAT S 3dr 2006 Golf GTI from a well known auction site. I brought it blind for a little over 1k with a theory if it was a lemon, I could sell the good bits.

Fast forward 12 months and its pretty much complete. I have decided to keep it standard even though i've been under pressure from the kids to do stuff that would not be fitting for my age bracket  :smiley: "I cannot take the credit for the spraying, a friend did that for me"

Part of the project, I convinced the wife that I needed some lifting equipment, something I have always wanted ever since working on a E61 BMW, trying to fix the exhaust with a mixture of axle stands and multiple jacks  :scared:

I've not got a massive garage, but it has been very handy.

Anyway, to the point. I had thought after this, I would move onto something more complex. I've been looking for a RS3 or RS4 (RS5 is too big for my garage), but after browsing various forums, I saw that some people had done a AWD conversion and thought, hmm, that would be an interesting project.

I've done my research, created browser favorites to quite a lot of posts include on this forum and have a fairly good idea what needs to be done. Hardest bit for me is the welding of the boot floor and the prop mounts as I haven't done any welding since my teenage years on my mk2 golf's exhaust, but hey, I can learn that as I don't have any time constraints.

My question is really what donor car could I look for? I have in my head I could get a salvage Audi S3 and take all what I need, including the K04 and injectors.
What about a TT, mk6 golf r even a A3 Quattro ?

Many many thanks.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:38:11 pm by FranticG »

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: CAT S project complete, now AWD conversion ??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 05:39:40 pm »
What lift is that?  Looks great and goes nice and high.  I did look at the Quickjack a while back but £1000+VAT for the smallest one is a bit steep.

As for your project, maybe drive an S3 or 6R first to see if it's what you want.  Yeah you get a lot of traction but the extra weight makes them less nimble than a GTI.

Something else to consider is getting a Cat D R32 with minor frontal damage as per your first pic?   You could sell the R32 engine and gearbox and you'd be left with a complete 4WD MK5 to play with.  Transfer the GTI engine, exhaust, wheels and bumpers over and you'll have a legit, OEM 4WD GTI!  No need to weld anything  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline FranticG

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:32:51 pm »
Its this one https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/products/as-7230a-scissor-lift/

If I put it full height, the car would end up in my sons bedroom, but I can get it high enough to get under stooping.

Been handy already as I maintain both my wifes dog walking cars, so much easier on the neck and back. I really wanted a 2 or 4 post, but no matter how I tried to figure it out and the best man maths I could work with, it just would not fit. Only downside I have found is the sill access. To replace the fuel filter, I needed to yank out the supply line as it was jammed which broke. Fine, I could replace the line to the tank, but the screw holding in the filter was so badly corroded, I could not get it undone. It was also right where the ramp was. Couldn't reposition the car as the connector had broken and could not start the car and I had fuel running out. Catch 22. grr. Not very good forward planning.

Anyway, back to my big idea.
As it turns out, I messaged someone today about getting the boot floor from a s3 and ended up buying all the parts bar the gearbox which i will pick up on Thursday :happy2:

So just need to source a gearbox. That leads me to a question, should I get it refurbed before fitting it? Head says I should, heart says just put it on. Also, are there different versions, revisions, years?

Many thanks

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 11:14:29 am »
It's a great lift  :happy2:  A bit rich for my blood and I don't have a garage, so not practical really.  Maybe I can come up with my own design of 4 trolley jacks linked to one central pump  :grin:  It's mainly the twisting of the body shell I don't like about floor jacks.  I don't have an assistant on hand to do a nice bit of syncronised jacking with because she's either at work, or on the couch glued to Love Island.

Probably worth a refurb if you don't know the condition/history of the gearbox.  It's also a good opportunity to stick a wavetrack diff in it.  They still help even with the Haldex because it's a reactive system rather than permanent as I'm sure you already know.  Another worthwhile upgrade whilst it's apart is fitting these - https://www.akstuning.co.uk/gearbox-parts/529-genuine-02m-02q-steel-selector-shifter-forks.html

You will also need a clutch if you're planning on future mods. This works well - https://www.akstuning.co.uk/clutches/373-helix-orgnic-clutch-kit-for-vag-tfsi-engine.html?search_query=helix&results=16

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline FranticG

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 12:57:47 pm »
Thanks for your reply, thats has actually been very useful. I picked up everything bar the gearbox last night from a nice guy who was breaking a S3. He has already sold the engine and box, but I have the transfer box.

So I now have the complete rear axle, tank, all drive shafts, abs pump, esp, prop and heat shields. I have ordered the two prop shaft mounts and he cut out the rear spare wheel floor for me. Not sure how i'm gonna fit that yet, gotta have a think about it.

I'm sure you have, but I did quite a lot of research about the lift. They do do some portable ones, but I suspect they are still heavy to move and you would have to store it somewhere.