Make a donation

Author Topic: Next car after your MK5 GTI?  (Read 17391 times)

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102535.0.html
Next car after your MK5 GTI?
« on: September 25, 2019, 07:25:35 pm »
Hi guys,

Its been a while since I've posted on here and have been on and off looking to change my Mk5 GTI for a while now.

In all honesty i don't think you can beat it within its price range, but am wondering for you people still on here that have moved on from a mk5; What did you go for next?!

Other than an R32 or going to an edition 30 I can't find a better option without doubling the cost comparing to what Mk5 GTI's are going for now.

Cheers  :drinking:

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102535.0.html
Re: Next car after your MK5 GTI?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 07:33:17 pm »
And here’s an up to date picture of mine seeing as I haven’t been on here in ages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 08:18:37 pm »
What are your reasons for changing the mk5? Those should give you some guidance on your next car, faster, bigger, etc.

MPS

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 08:37:06 pm »
Cupra 280 for me. Great sound in Cupra mode, more torque, Golf R motor and turbo and arguably looks better than the Golf R. Need one with bucket seats as well.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 11:04:56 am »
What are your reasons for changing the mk5? Those should give you some guidance on your next car, faster, bigger, etc.

This. Without knowing what your priorities and budget are, you won’t get decent answers. Your ideal car could be anything between a Boxster and a Landcruiser, with a Merc S Class in between!

Offline ady-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 02:55:08 pm »
I've just started to look at either a a45AMG or, opposite, a model 3 tesla. I really don't want to get rid of the ed30, I may keep as a weekend/track-car, but I hardly use a car now it will be a waste to keep both.

I'm not in a rush to change, just an itch that need scratching.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 09:55:54 pm »
I went for an A5. Loved it but had to revert back to 5 doors so now currently in a MK6 GTD

Offline Paulo P

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 03:24:32 pm »
I went for a Porsche Cayenne S and gave my mark 5 GTI to my wife, I wanted something bigger and liked the mark 5 too much to sell. It took me a long to decide what to replace the mark 5 with because they are hard to beat for the money.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 04:38:00 pm »
And here’s an up to date picture of mine seeing as I haven’t been on here in ages!

Can I have first dibs on the Speedlines if you sell it?  :happy2:

I considered upgrading to a MK7.5 (R or GTI PP) a while ago but test drives left me underwhelmed.  The perceived quality is definitely an improvement on the MK5, but the driving dynamics are worse.  Trains and cruise ships have more steering feel!  You can modify the hell out of MK7s but the base platform has to be significant jump up from the previous model before I sign on the dotted line, and it just isn't....imo.

As for other cars, it depends on your parking space, daily commutes, performance and handling requirements, seating requirements etc etc.  Golfs do it all so well, hence why they get under your skin so much and are consequently so hard to move on from  :smiley:

Maybe LS swap an E46 M3.  Give it some torque and piss off the purists  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 12:46:46 pm »
I faced this dilemma about a year ago with my ED30 as had it for just over 2 years and for a few reasons just felt I wanted something different so i sold the car.

I then spent a few months thinking what do I want and with a combination of nothing else out there for similar price that performs or looks as good and not actually knowing why I wanted to change I ended up tracking down my old car an buying it back.

I now have it as a weekend car as do not really need it for work and so happy I got it back.

Think hard why you want to change as may regret it, I would say upgrade to the ED30 as it does feel totally different to a GTI but you may still find it not enough of a change to scratch that itch

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 01:51:55 pm »
I plan on keeping mine long term. If I had to replace it today, I'd probably look for a 6R. A Clubsport 40 would be nice but I don't want to spend £15-20k on a car. I'm not that keen on 7R's prefer the looks of the GTI.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline BondEric2

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 09:07:24 pm »
My next car after MK5 was a Saab 93 Vector, that was a monster car, going very fast but it was consuming a lot of fuel, I was spending half of my income per week only for this car... Then I decided to change the car and I bought a new RS5, at least it was worth to spend money for it and my income got bigger at that time. I bought it from another state and found a cool company called https://www.shipaa.com/ that brought it to me very fast. Then I sold my Saab and sent it also with that company.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:02:27 pm by BondEric2 »

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 03:41:35 pm »
I think I may be heading in the direction of an AMG A45S next year.

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 09:31:00 pm »
After mine probably a leon Cupra 280 ish or a megane 250. Won’t be for a while though.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 10:57:40 pm »
I haven't moved on yet...still driving the same MK5 since Nov '06. But it will most likely be a MK7 or newer Golf R. Unless I suddenly get an increase in disability and can afford an RS3.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 03:55:39 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1