Make a donation

Author Topic: STOP! Oil Pressure Engine Off! Owners Manual  (Read 9545 times)

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
STOP! Oil Pressure Engine Off! Owners Manual
« on: October 06, 2019, 10:04:50 am »
Hello, picked up a cheap Golf GTI recently, its a 2007 on 97k. Im not aware of its service history for the passed 3 years, but I know in 2015 it has evidence of a full service and  timing belt etc.

I've got all of the bits to change belts/service etc but worryingly this has happened today.

I was travelling around 30/40mph at lowish revs on a dual carriageway when the STOP! Oil Pressure Engine Off! Owners Manual came on. Nowhere really to pull over but managed to get it home around a mile away, mainly coasting. It starts/drives/runs fine. It doesn't sound any different but Ive only owned the car for 100 miles or so. IF Im being picky id say the idle is a little lumpy, but nothing major and could just be how this is meant to be?

The car is on my drive now, I'm obviously aware I could have already caused some irreparable damage by coasting it home, but I now need to establish what to do next.

Oil level is fine BTW.

My initial thoughts say its oil pump related. Google suggests blocked gauge/oil pick up pipe?

My issue is now how to sort this out.... Obviously can't get it to the garage on its own steam, is there any things I can do to check it at home?

There are no errors on dash?

Thanks

Offline reidy-

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
Re: STOP! Oil Pressure Engine Off! Owners Manual
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 10:27:23 am »
Get it recovered to a garage

£50 on a tow truck or £1000 for a new engine?

Odds are on a blocked sump pickup pipe, get the garage to drop the sump and check the pipe for blockages, clean and refit.

check service history of the car, if previous owners have been doing >15k per oil change or not using decent oils i.e. recommend 504.00 / casterol edge  then there's a good chance its gunked up internally, so assuming you've not totaled the engine once you've verified its good to go after another 50-100 miles, get some fresh oil and filter put in and dont use any engine flushing products.

good luck

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 11:20:36 am »
Thanks for the reply, does the pick up need replacing or cleaning? Can get a mobile mechanic round today but dont have the part?

Offline reidy-

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 12:13:45 pm »
Just remove and clean, any detergent will sort it out, I think its a couple of bolts internally tp remove it - google it.

Not sure if sump has a gasket or anything though to replace, your mechnic may know

Let us know how you get on.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 12:42:45 pm »
My vote is on the pick up pipe too. The sump will need to be sealed as no gasket for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 02:14:30 pm »
I have a tube of the sump sealant I want rid of

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 04:34:12 pm »
Ok thanks for the replies so far. Heres my plan, hows it sound..

Ive got a shed load of parts and service items to fit, but this is obviously the most important thing now.

Get the mechanic to come to my house, drain the oil, and remove the sump and clean the pick up. Reseal the sump and use my new oil and filter.

Use the car, for a week or so (few hundred miles) to make sure there is no seriousdamage.

Give the car back to the mechanic to do a full service, timing belt, water pump, and the other work I had planned (discs, pads, lowering etc). HOWEVER, would you guys suggest changing the oil and filter again after these few hundred miles?

Thanks

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 04:56:47 pm »
That sounds like a fair plan. I assume you’re not wanting to undertake any of the work yourself. Not especially difficult task (I’ve done a couple) but takes a bit of time making sure to get all the original sealant off, clean and dry with brakeclean and the reseal. That’s after you’ve removed and cleaned the filter, which only takes a few minutes.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:12:55 am by The Red Warrior »

Offline reidy-

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 05:02:41 pm »
Nah would be a waste, the detergents/dispersants in the oil will take a while to break down any sludge, which will be done over '000s of miles not hundreds if its bad (no easy way of finding out)

Everyone seems to have varying opinions on what's a sensible distance to change oil generally because its subjective to what driving you do, but 5-10k miles is about the going rate , so I'd change yours for the first time at 5k and then do what you like after that.

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 05:21:39 pm »
That sounds like a fair plan. I assume you’re not wanting to undertake any of the work yourself. Not especially difficult task (I’ve done a couple) but takes a bit of time making sure to get all the original sealant off, clean and dry with breakclean and the reseal. That’s after you’ve removed and cleaned the filter, which only takes a few minutes.

I probably could, but Its more the time to do it. I own my business and have a work van, I was offered this GTI cheap as a project to keep me busy as Im going through a bit of a tough time. I can leave the Golf with my Dad and the mechanic can pop round and sort it wether Im there or not?

I just want to know where I stand with it to be honest

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 07:04:22 pm »
If it was me, I’d ask your mechanic to pop round, take the sump off, take the pick up pipe off and see if it looks blocked and full of sludge. If so, clean it well and refit it. Clean sump and bottom of block and apply sealant to the sump then refit it. Top up with fresh oil and put a new oil filter in and see how it goes. If all is ok then carry out all of your other maintenance and work that you’d like done and just leave the oil until your next oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 08:21:20 pm »
Thanks guys, ill let you know how I get on!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 02:07:10 pm »
For the low cost of a new pickup and O ring, I would just swap it out personally.

For the sump, you'll need Dirko sump sealant or the mega bucks VW stuff......but don't use generic sealant and certainly not bathroom sealant!.  Yes, some people actually do that  :stupid:  Only use a very thin bead.  The mistake many people make is slapping it on like cake frosting and guess what, it all squidges out into the sump.....and blocks the new/cleaned pickup.....triple  :grin: :grin: :grin:

If there's no nasty tapping or drop in performance afterwards, you sir, got away with it  :happy2:

As for oil changes, it's a bit of an internet cliche but 3-5K changes of a top shelf oil is the only way to ensure a lengthy lifespan. Manufacturer service intervals are purely a sales tactic because most folk treat car servicing as an unnecessary expense and inconvenience.  After the warranty expires, it's not their problem.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 06:11:42 pm »
Hi, thanks for the reply, Ive got a brand new pick up pipe from the dealers and a tube of the special sealant, which I cant remember what is called, but I found it in a link on a similar thread on here.

My mechanic is coming tomorrow morning hopefully, and by the end of the day Ill know.

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 08:49:03 pm »
Hi guys, bit of an update.

Right so I bought a cheap Golf GTI that was a little rough around the edges. I expected to spend a bit on it, and in fact, its what I wanted a little project. Didnt want to be fixing this issue after 116 miles but here we are. I had the oil pressure warning come on and so I made this thread.

I purchased new oil, oil filter, new pick pipe and the genuine sealant.

My mechanic came round on Sunday to pull the sump and change the stuff over. We immediately discovered my sump had been cracked and repaired with what appeared to be Wrigleys Chewing Gum.... I want to do things properly, so told him to put it back together and Id source a brand new Sump, which I picked up the next day and he came round to fit everything today

This was the state of my pick up? Guessing this is the issue?

I haven't been able to use it much since as the rear brakes are in terrible shape, but a quick drive round seems to suggest its sorted?

Cost me over £200 in parts which I didnt want to spend but at least its done

Next, new brakes, cambelt, timing chain, rest of the service items, rev g DV and an N Part PCV

Then paintwork....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:28:23 pm by kpowell911 »