Make a donation

Author Topic: mk5 gti in the snow?  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Dunkdafunk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 1
mk5 gti in the snow?
« on: October 07, 2019, 03:04:27 pm »
Hi. Has anyone had any good experiences with a mk5 gti in snow? does it do alright with special tyres? can you fit chains? Im aware its a performance car but curious to see if anyone has had much luck. Cheers

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI
Re: mk5 gti in the snow?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 03:26:39 pm »
for the minimal amount of snow we get in the UK, you'll be fine. just make sure you have winter tyres on, in winter months. yes you can legal fit chains, but you'll never need to, the snow is almost never bad enough to warrant them. id guess you're new to driving? just don't drive like a C... and take your time and you'll be fine, same as any other fwd car.

Offline Dobbsy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 04:06:09 pm »
Last year I drove my wife's mk5 Gti Dsg in the snow and was surprised how well it did, We live on a very steep hill and drove up it no problem at all. Think it must be the tyres, she has Toyo Proxies on her's and the tread is in a V Pattern with hardly any snow caught in the grooves . I walked back to my work and drove my Skoda octavia vrs dsg and couldnt make it up the hill at all, I had to let almost all of the air out the tyres to get home my tyres are Yokohama and the snow filled the grooves.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 05:36:59 pm »
mines not brilliant its the abs that causes problems when braking its useless don't think it will stop you quicker it wont

Offline ady-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »
Similar to mine, ABS goes like a jackhammer in the snow but with a stage 1 ed30 it's not surprising that wheel-spin was an issue.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 04:30:44 pm »
I ran winter tyres on mine a few years back to good effect.  I used standard VW 16" steel wheels with 205/55/16 winters.  18" winters are bloody expensive, but they don't get much better than Michelin Alpin.

Last winter my PS4s were fine down to 0 degrees during the day, and -4 first thing in the morning. Obviously not as grippy as a full winter, but considering they are summer tyre, I was impressed.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 05:39:35 pm »
Just down to the tire really. The 17" Maxxis I had on the last 2 winters were awful, but while it's not been freezing yet, the PS4 have been awesome. However next year I'll get some winters for the original 17s that came with the car so the diamond cut Monzas are kept away from the worst of the salt/winter weather.