Make a donation

Author Topic: Coilovers!  (Read 2205 times)

Offline TyColl

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Coilovers!
« on: October 08, 2019, 05:14:28 pm »
Just bought a golf gti recently only on 55k miles and had it serviced at a VW dealer, it’s got a snapped spring apparently on the rear passenger side and the rear drivers is heavily corroded. Told me obviously its not safe for the road.

I wanted to lower it a little at some point anyway, however... i don’t have the funds right now to get some amazing set up and i also don’t want to spend money on putting new standard springs on to then change at a later date.

My question to you guys is; what cheapish set ups do people recommened? Whether it be lowering springs or coilovers? Around £400-500 tops, if anything cheaper then thats great!

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:37:22 pm by TyColl »

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Coilovers!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 04:58:37 pm »
I was I nam similar boat. I wanted to slightly lower my GTI, but having just bought it didn't want to spend an awful amount. I also consider the GTI a performance car so in my opinion, cheap coil overs aren't going to be worth it. Ive ran things like JOM/Vmaxx etc in the past and they are fine for 'lows' but not really a performance item. Id want something like KW's etc for my GTI, so I compromised and went with H&R Lowering Springs from Awesome GTI, they cost me £220ish?

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 05:46:24 pm »
I have ST coil overs which are kw  with mild steel bodies. I have the variant 1 fixed damping for the money they are decent.
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline TyColl

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:39:22 pm »
I was I nam similar boat. I wanted to slightly lower my GTI, but having just bought it didn't want to spend an awful amount. I also consider the GTI a performance car so in my opinion, cheap coil overs aren't going to be worth it. Ive ran things like JOM/Vmaxx etc in the past and they are fine for 'lows' but not really a performance item. Id want something like KW's etc for my GTI, so I compromised and went with H&R Lowering Springs from Awesome GTI, they cost me £220ish?

I’m actually looking at the H&R lowering springs, 25-35mm drop aren’t they? How is the ride on those and do they improve the handling at all? If you have any pics that would be awesome!  :smiley:

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:41:15 pm by TyColl »

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 04:25:11 am »
This was when with Eibach Sportline springs...

...this is with H&R and Bilstein "modified"; H&R SS springs in front - H&R Street performance coilover springs and adjusters in back - Bilstein B8 dampers.

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Damian @ DPM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
  • DPM Performance
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 01:00:16 pm »
How many miles have your current dampers covered?

Damian @ DPM Performance
Advertising removed... (for the time being)

Offline TyColl

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 07:20:47 pm »

Damian @ DPM Performance

The car is on 56k miles, i'm assuming it will still be on the original dampers

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 01:39:13 pm »
If you just want a modest drop without wrecking the ride comfort, the Racingline kit is hard to beat in the £500 price bracket.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 04:20:53 pm »
A quick fix would be to put a used stock spring in there whilst you decide. Is an easy job afterall. I use the racingline set up Pudding recommends above and it’s great for a road car though obviously no Ohlins! If doing again, I would look at Relentless also at around this price point.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 10:27:20 pm »

Damian @ DPM Performance
Mine, Bilstein B8's, have 100k miles on them now.

My oem; three were leaking at 58k miles...22k miles with oem springs and 34k miles with eibach sportlines mounted. Switched to this current set-up and have 100k miles on the B8's.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 07:38:24 am »
Unles you’re tracking the car I’d save ya money and fit a set of H&R30mm lowering springs together with a set of 10/15mm spacers. Doe that to mine and it’s made a nice visible stance difference without compromising the ride or handling. Total cost was around £400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 02:13:18 pm »
Coilovers aren't just about track days.  Good ones can improve all of the key areas, which benefits a road car as much as it does a track car  :smiley:

It all depends what you want from the car and how you want it to behave round corners and over bumps.  The standard suspension is pretty crap on both fronts.  Way too soft and floaty on fast, flowing B roads, and way too harsh over bumps.  It can be improved on massively from the aftermarket.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline MoMo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 10:42:30 pm »
I was looking to go for lowering springs rather than Coilovers, I've heard pretty good stuff about Vogtland lowering springs. So I may be inclined to purchase those and see for myself. Decent priced at £100.

Offline TyColl

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 10:45:56 am »
I was looking to go for lowering springs rather than Coilovers, I've heard pretty good stuff about Vogtland lowering springs. So I may be inclined to purchase those and see for myself. Decent priced at £100.

Did you get these in the end? If so how much drop and what do they look like? Cheers