Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheels pushed forward due to Anti Lift Kit  (Read 3069 times)

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
Wheels pushed forward due to Anti Lift Kit
« on: October 11, 2019, 12:41:21 pm »
Hi guys,

Ive done a search but can only find one post on this. I've just had the Powerflex ALK fitted and its shunted the wheels forward. Due to the 19" wheels Im running and the ET required to clear the Cayenne calipers this has now caused it to rub and so I've had to raise it up. I read a post suggesting the same thing happened to another Forum user but this was using the Whiteline kit.

They seemed to suggest that the AL is achieved by changing the offset of the console which shifts the subframe forward. However people were recommending SuperPro bushes and said their system is different as they off centre the bush which is how theirs achieve the AL. My question is, if I fit the SuperPro ALK with the console & bushes, will this return the wheels to their original position? Has anyone got any experience of the SuperPro consoles/bushes?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Wheels pushed forward due to Anti Lift Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:28:55 pm »
Offset Console bushes move the wishbone outboard, which has the net effect of pushing the hub forwards (+ caster) because the front of the wishbone is fixed.   This is how all ALK kits work as far as I knew?  The only other ways to achieve positive caster is to rake the top of the strut more towards the bulkhead, or move the lower ball joint forwards.  Anyway, sounds like you need less caster though!

I have the +1 degree caster SuperPro consoles (offset) and they showed no additional caster on the 4 wheel alignment jig afterwards.  They're a bit misleading on that front, or not born out in practice, but either way the stiffer insert improves steering feel and wheel hop though.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 01:58:29 pm »
My Superpro ALK also showed zero change to castor despite the bushes being visibly offset. Bang on 8 deg before and after without the subframe having been touched. I do wonder if VW changed the spec of the factory bushes somewhere along the line?!? Mine is a 2007 chassis.

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 03:21:18 pm »
My caster was 8°32 L and 8°24 R before and 8°30 L and 8°27 R after. Wheels are definitely pushed forward. If every console does this Im wondering whether Id be better off with the standard consoles and SuperPro inserts?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 03:56:29 pm »
Standard caster is 7.47 degrees +/- 30 seconds.  8.3 before and after isn't right.  Not sure what's going on there!  I would press in some Darkside Developments S3 bushes to your standard GTI console housings and see if that pulls it back a degree.  You won't want standard bushes as they're voided, and therefore squidgy when you don't want them to be.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 03:59:15 pm »
One of the tricks the racing boys use is to pull the subframe as far forward as possible to maximise castor. Maybe RobC’s subframe was already there to get those readings?!? Anyhow it seems there is a miss-selling issue with Superpro.......

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 04:05:22 pm »
Yeah maybe, although I didn't get anywhere near a degree of slack when moving my subframe around.  Mine was stock caster after the Tyrol sport deadset and SuperPro consoles, so yep, when the subframe is mounted dead square + the SPs, you don't get any additional caster.  Maybe SP are relying on people pulling the SF forwards + the bushes to get that degree. 

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 04:43:46 pm »
OK, you’ll have to forgive me as I dont know enough about these or the effects, my original bushes were worn and so sought these as an obvious upgrade. My issue is I cant afford to keep the wheels where they.

So, on that basis, do you think the subframe should be able to be adjusted by loosening and moving it back enough to put it back where it was? Or will I need to refit the original consoles with uprated bushes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 04:49:20 pm »
You can try moving the subframe back, but you will need an alignment doing afterwards.  Yep, fit these into your standard GTI consoles if you haven't binned them - https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/tt-uprated-wishbone-console-bushes-for-golf-mk5-platform.html

What's confusing is you said the caster was 8.3 degrees before and after fitment of the Powerflex ALK, so in theory your wheels shouldn't be rubbing if nothing changed geometry wise?

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 04:51:34 pm »
Thanks Pudding, will look at those.

Apologies, the before reading was taken after the Powerflex bushes were fitted, the alignment was carried out at a different place. Just realised the irrelevance of those numbers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »
Ah OK, so the Powerflex ALK did actually add a degree, or thereabouts, of extra caster then.  S3 bushes pressed into standard console housings should solve your problem then.  Or you can just buy new GTI consoles but as I say, they're a bit pants.  The S3 ones are solid rubber to get around that splitting problem but don't change the geometry.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 09:15:29 pm »
sorry caster is sugar castor is geometery

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 03:45:28 pm »
Lol, there's always one  :grin:  The beauty of the English language is that one can get the contextual gist without requiring the exact spelling, and castor is also an oil  :happy2:

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 03:53:36 pm »
*sniffs* mmmm Castrol R  :P

Offline pudding