Make a donation

Author Topic: Intake air leak P2279!  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Intake air leak P2279!
« on: October 12, 2019, 06:15:52 pm »
Hi guys,

A month or two ago I installed an oversized ramair intake to my edition 30.

Since then I have had the occasional lumpy idle and sometimes the revs are sticking 2000 even though I am stationary. Finally managed to plug in obdeleven and I’ve got this intake leak code. I’ve been all over the installation of the intake and there is no leak from what I can tell. My understanding is that the leak must be after the MAF sensor, which is only at the turbo inlet. The intake is secured rigidly at this point so I don’t think the intake is the issue.

I’ve been doing some digging and it could be the beloved PCV, so I have ordered another one which I will replace as soon as that arrives. I did a blow test on the PCV today and when blowing I could blow through it but only a small amount, im not sure if it’s supposed to let no air through or just a little? Anyway I’m not confident that swapping the pcv will solve it so I have been doing some digging using the live data features when scanning.

I’ve read that my maf reading is peaking at around 95g/s when absolutely flooring it on the motorway I think this is way less than what is specified, so would this point me in the direction of a faulty maf now? When I took the maf out I wrapped it up and stored it safely so I am baffled as to how I may have damaged it.

The car is also running decat pipe and it may be blowing slightly...(I know right) because it sounds like crap. Would this cause the system to think it is leaking as well? I have no codes to suggest this though.

Sorry for the long post, this has been doing my head in for 2 days I’m getting ready to send it to a garage.

Edit: I’ve just done a run and monitored boost levels, the actual value peaked at 1650mbar which if I’m not mistaken works out to 24 psi minus 14.7 = 9.3 psi. Is this stock figures? Or maybe signs of a leaky DV.. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:43:53 pm by Northern_ED30 »

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
Re: Intake air leak P2279!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 01:30:38 am »
Mine only did 1700mbar (0.7bar) when stock and was dynoed at 239bhp on a Maha dyno.

Should see over 180 g/s on a stock Edition 30 flat out so somethings wrong there mate.

It's an issue trying to watch Obdeleven and not drive into the back of someone lol  :driver:

On the PCV check the gasket, I've seen them leak, my mates one we could push against the PCV toward the head and stop the leak. New gasket sorted it.

You shouldn't be able to blow through the PCV at all, the diagphragm must be leaking too.

Have heard of servo pipes leaking too on TFSIs so there's another thing to check.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:41:32 am by GVK »

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 01:43:50 pm »
Thanks for replying.

That’s positive that I have similar boost to what you had. So no leak in charged air, thank god.

I’ll put the stock box on when I can and also going to do a run without a maf and see what that brings

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 01:49:21 pm »
Good luck, keep us posted when you find a fix.

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 07:00:09 pm »
Good luck, keep us posted when you find a fix.

Well I’m just in the middle of a 2 hours drive back home and I’ve reset the code and it’s not come back yet. Yet when I’m monitoring channel 2 I’m still seeing low maf readings, in 4th I’m seeing about 160g/s. I’m wondering if this intake is sh*t and I might rethink using a cone filter..

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 07:49:40 pm »
I have read about MAF scaling issues with some aftermarket intakes , even the expensive Revo one isn't perfect according to Pudding on here.

I still run the stock airbox on mine at st1 (310hp/404nm) Mine shows around 243ish g/s which is roughly 303hp so not too far out from the dyno results when it was tuned.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:54:33 pm by GVK »

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 10:43:12 pm »
Just did a pull in 3rd all the way to red line and i saw 180-190g/s so I think the leak has gone. That puts me at approximately stock figures.

I know leaks don't fix them selves, but I think this one did :signLOL: I'll monitor it over the next few days and I'll swap the PCV when that comes because it's good to start fresh.

What's the best way to clean a MAF sensor? I can use compressed air at work but don't want to break the thing.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 10:50:32 pm »
I can't spell the name but it's like isoprol contact cleaner used to sell it in places like the now defunct Maplins.

I'd get a gasket for the pcv too.

edit - Isopropyl - this stuff https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/holts-electrical-contact-cleaner-500ml-552996200?type=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwlovtBRBrEiwAG3XJ-3bboUCl_cipXMFfeXmXhpnvWy3eu7BiKouf63Lz_nnqBvgmYbl2shoCD_UQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:54:14 pm by GVK »

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 07:42:55 pm »
Any idea where there's a map or diagram for all the vacuum lines on the engine? I've got the leak again. The new PCV i've bought can be blown through just the same as the one on the car so I don't think I'm going to change it.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 08:13:43 pm »
Sorry I don't have ETKA or whatever VW use for parts diagrams these days.

On the TR Hamza vid where he went to R tech, they showed one of the r tech guys blowing through a PCV and telling him that it had a one-way check valve in it and shouldn't be able to be blown through. I can't check mine as it has had a BSH PCV delete fitted.

Are you sure it's not the PCV gasket or brake booster pipes leaking?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:20:26 pm by GVK »

Offline Northern_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 08:33:46 pm »
Just been out and changed the PCV seeing as though I've bought a new one, may as well.

The date code on the old one was august 2018, so i doubt it'd failed, but hey it's changed now.
Checked all the lines around the PCV, checked what I think the brake booster pipe and all looks good.

I've seen the Hamza video you're referring to, if i blow softly on the PCV it's fine but if i do a prolonged hard blow you can hear air coming out somewhere.

Took the DV off aswell seeing as though it's a 2minute job on these ed30s, DV looks brand new and intact.

I did a quick 5 minute drive after changing and there were no sticky revs, so i'll plug the scanner in tomorrow and see what's going on.