Make a donation

Author Topic: Best tyres (not too expensive)  (Read 6305 times)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Best tyres (not too expensive)
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 06:51:52 pm »
I’ve just bought a set of these for dry day/summer use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FastSchnitzel41

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 08:29:31 pm »
cheers guys

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 03:03:52 pm »
I actually switched from Michelin PS4 to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5. I'm very impressed with the performance of the AS5, especially during the wet where I found it handled aquaplaning much better than the PS4 and this is an area I tend to priortise highly. TyreReviews did a UHP test recently with Goodyear coming out on top for wet performance over the Michelins quite convincingly so it wasn't just my imagination.

I also found the AS5 to be quieter to drive on and comfortable, but more than handled its own on the twisty stuff where my recent trip to the Nurburgring demonstrated! Overall I'm happy with the AS5 and they're usually cheaper than the equivalent Michelin so it's a win-win for me.

Tyre Reviews did a youtube video a while back comparing PS4 > AS5 > ContiSport 6.  To say there was barely any difference between the 3 in terms of lap times is an understatement.  It really just comes down to seat of the pants feel and brand preference.

Either of those 3 would get my recommendation.  The differences are so tiny in the real world, it really makes no odds.  Just pick the cheapest of the 3.

Personally, when I went from AS3 to PS4, the difference in steering feel was quite profound.  MUCH stiffer sidewall on the PS4.  I have much stiffer suspension than stock, so it's pointless me going to all that expense only to ruin it with a soggy sidewall, hence my preference for Michelin or Bridgestone because I know they have hard side walls.

I haven't yet tried the AS5, but by all accounts it's a great tyre and might be my next choice.  What happened to the AS4?  They skipped a revision!

There is only one fact in this debate - cheap tyres are just crap, and always will be.  People who say they're not just haven't driven the car hard enough to find the (easily found) limits.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 03:04:42 pm »
This always makes me chuckle. What are the best tyres that aren't expensive.

You either want the best, you want cheapest, or you want a compromise of both.

You also need to decide if you want a winter tyre, all season tyre, summer tyre, or something dry/track focused like the AD08R as mentioned above

Also makes me chuckle when people will always recommend what they are currently using, as if they can pass judgement on the other tyres mentioned as if they have done back to back testing

Common sense prevails  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 03:08:39 pm »
As for winters, 18 inchers are fruitin expensive.  If you have standard brakes, your best bet is to get a used set of 16" winter steels from ebay.  Usually tyres are included.  That's what I did a few years ago. 

Winter tyres do make a huge difference (All seasons are sh*te in snow, avoid) but the main problem is other drivers.  Stupid other drivers.  You will have significantly stronger braking than the dork behind you, so bear that in mind.

Online fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 03:44:03 pm »
Quote from: Pudding

[/quote

I haven't yet tried the AS5, but by all accounts it's a great tyre and might be my next choice.  What happened to the AS4?  They skipped a revision!

Global brands tend to skip number 4 if they sell into China as that is an unlucky number (it sounds like death in Chinese)  so Goodyear (and Conti did the same with the Sport Contact) just jumped to next number. Kinda surprised that Michelin didn’t do the same but maybe they’re not that big in China.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 03:53:35 pm »
Quote from: Pudding

[/quote

Global brands tend to skip number 4 if they sell into China as that is an unlucky number (it sounds like death in Chinese)  so Goodyear (and Conti did the same with the Sport Contact) just jumped to next number. Kinda surprised that Michelin didn’t do the same but maybe they’re not that big in China.

Thanks mate, I never knew that.  Bloody China with their superstitions and paranoia about what the western world thinks of them  :stupid:  Don't they also get all hard in the pants over the number 8?  Lucky and auspicious or something?

Speaking of weird sh*t.....my Soundcloud stream literally just interjected with an advert about Michelin tyres.  We are being spied on......

Offline brammer

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 06:14:13 pm »
As for winters, 18 inchers are fruitin expensive.  If you have standard brakes, your best bet is to get a used set of 16" winter steels from ebay.  Usually tyres are included.  That's what I did a few years ago. 

Looking for a set myself at the moment, do you know if 16" steel wheels from a VW Transporter will fit a MK5 GTI with standard brakes and 17" rims?
Cheers.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 07:20:20 pm »
Yeah should do so long as the Transporter wheels are 5 x 112.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 01:15:22 pm »
I think it totally on what you class as expensive!

I've just bought a pair of PS4s for £100 each fitted and balanced.

I could save £10-£20 a corner and opt for a midrange tyre but at £100 a corner I figure I might as well go for the Michelins.

I was using P Zeros, as I drive a Pirelli edition, but switched to PS4 last time around. The Michelins are slightly cheaper at my tyre shop, and the driving experience is the same. I'm hoping for better wear the the Michelins again though.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 02:05:45 pm »
I’ve just bought a set of these for the summer to put on my recently acquired BBS CH rims

Offline FastSchnitzel41

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 05:51:52 pm »
I think I've got the standard 17's but would be happy to pay upto around £80ish for each tyre?

Cheers chaps  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 09:30:27 am »
I think it totally on what you class as expensive!

I've just bought a pair of PS4s for £100 each fitted and balanced.

I could save £10-£20 a corner and opt for a midrange tyre but at £100 a corner I figure I might as well go for the Michelins.

I was using P Zeros, as I drive a Pirelli edition, but switched to PS4 last time around. The Michelins are slightly cheaper at my tyre shop, and the driving experience is the same. I'm hoping for better wear the the Michelins again though.

After 18 months (approx. 13,000 miles) my PS4s are down to 4mm at the front and 6mm at the rear.   I've rotated them but I think 20K is their realistic lifespan if driving pretty hard.  Obviously you can get a lot more from a tyre if driven slowly, but that's boring.