Make a donation

Author Topic: Cloudy headlights  (Read 2352 times)

Offline FastSchnitzel41

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Cloudy headlights
« on: October 13, 2019, 01:31:25 am »
Hi chaps, my headlight lenses are a little bit cloudy; I gave them a rub down today and they're a bit better.  I heard about someone using toothpaste on them to clean them up in the past - does anyone on here do this?

Thanks

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Cloudy headlights
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 08:42:09 am »
Toothpaste is just another abrasive polish. It didn’t work on mine, nor did paint cutting compounds so I called in the pros to do it with multiple grades of sandpaper.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:54:10 am »
2 options for amazing finishes...

Meguiars: 2 step headlight restoration kit

Maguiars: headlight restoration kit plus

I have only used the plus one, but the 2 step came out after, The plus I have used many times on mine and other headlights, but a mate of mine has used the 2 step (which comes with the clear lacquer spray) and says it’s also brilliant! I promise you it’s the best way and for £22 it brings the headlights like new and is dead easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 01:06:53 pm »
I've heard good reports on 3M headlight restoration kit. Forget toothpaste.

Offline DaveyBoyWonder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 08:08:09 am »
2 options for amazing finishes...

Meguiars: 2 step headlight restoration kit

Maguiars: headlight restoration kit plus

I have only used the plus one, but the 2 step came out after, The plus I have used many times on mine and other headlights, but a mate of mine has used the 2 step (which comes with the clear lacquer spray) and says it’s also brilliant! I promise you it’s the best way and for £22 it brings the headlights like new and is dead easy to do.

Might give that a go. Got the one without the lacquer and the lights just cloud again after a couple of months.

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 09:18:14 am »
I have bought a few kits but the best thing I have used is lemon juice and baking soda make a paste rub on rub hard wash off with water brilliant on my GYI and nephews Cotse

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 11:56:29 am »
I've used a few different grades of wet and dry sandpaper and them some megs cutting compound.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 05:09:57 pm »
2000 grit wet sand with machine polisher. Then use cutting compound with a good microfibre cutting pad. Then a finishing polish with a microfibre polishing pad. Finally, coat with Chemical Guys hydro slick ceramic paste. Trust me they will look like new

Offline BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:35:39 pm »
Mine only clouded over again after the protective lacquer (or what was left if it) was taken off in the restoration. 2nd time I tried lamine-x film after restoration which I was never 100% happy with. Ended up getting 2 new oem hella lights off eurocarparts for £300 when I gave the car a make over earlier this year.

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 12:53:10 am »
I've tryed a few kits and suggestions over the years on my GTI. I gave up and stripped out the lights, heated them in the oven and melted the adhisive. Removed the old lense and replaced with some I found on ebay for about £30. After 2 years they are still perfect :-)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 02:23:46 pm »
2000 grit wet sand with machine polisher. Then use cutting compound with a good microfibre cutting pad. Then a finishing polish with a microfibre polishing pad. Finally, coat with Chemical Guys hydro slick ceramic paste. Trust me they will look like new

This will do the job for you. Obviously depending how bad they are you may need to get lower grade paper.