Make a donation

Author Topic: LC5F's Graphite Blue GTI - Pilgrimage to Caffeine & Machine  (Read 38538 times)

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
Re: LC5F's Graphite Blue GTI - Sea Dweller Edition
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2020, 06:19:22 pm »
Worth paying for a pre MOT check to avoid failure(s)  I pay £20 plus the MOT fee of £50. Both Mk5s are 12/13 yrs old with 6 figure mileage :driver:
 Also having problems with my handbrake. In my case the pivot bush for the handle has come adrift and started to chew the hb housing
 Replacement is 40 plus 2 new cables at 38 At least its an easy job and ill do it at work while getting paid :jumpmove: :jumpmove:
  Shame about the paint. Reminds me of an old pink :grin: astra i had

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2020, 08:40:57 pm »
I remember when they started logging faults with MOT's, a few VW guys were up in arms about them being recorded and even more annoyed that they were accessible by anyone - not sure what they were trying to hide!
Personally I'm not fussed, advisories were a good idea, its a lead for potential for work at the garage or a heads up for DIY mechanic and with it being online, no issue of loosing the certificate like back in the day - it's a transparent process and this time the fault was fixed the same day.

Where are you in the world that an MOT is still £50?
Full price its £29.50 for me in Edinburgh - but being a repeat user got a voucher taking it down to £25

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2020, 10:28:10 pm »
Where are you in the world that an MOT is still £50?  Local city council

Offline shannon-ob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fqvsv858r4ihtgsnvgh408sjj2&/topic,124095.0.html
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2020, 07:28:37 pm »
Some good progress made bud!

Sadly, you’re going to struggle to roll rear arches... there’s nothing really to roll!

For anyone interested, the Passat/scirocco hubs widen the track an extra 12mm per side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MY 3 DOOR 370BHP MANUAL GTI TRACK BUILD - WAVETRACK DIFF, CAGED, POLYCARBS, KO4, DB9 BRAKES, METH, BARTEK, VIS, HELIX PADDLE CLUTCH/SMF, FLOCKED DASH, 18X9 PRO RACE

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,124095.0.html

Instagrams;
@shannon_ob
@dinger_developments

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2020, 09:54:49 pm »
Sadly, you’re going to struggle to roll rear arches... there’s nothing really to roll!
For anyone interested, the Passat/scirocco hubs widen the track an extra 12mm per side.

Thanks Fella -
I was meaning to discreetly pull the rear lip out a bit with an arch roller to help clearance, but may look odd.
I thought Rocco hubs added 10mm a side but may have misread or got mixed up with 10mm spacers that I was initially looking at - from my research should have fitted without this issue, but I wanted something more discrete and OEM +reduced unsprung weight is a bonus too.
It seems the extra 2mm must causing the rubbing, its not constant or prolonged so it's not a big issue for me just now.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2020, 02:55:35 pm »
I got the calipers back from powder coating:

Sadly they are going to need a lot of tidying up, lots of coating on matting surfaces and they didnt block up the cylinder while blasting so I need to hone the bore again!

Did a trip to my favourite scrap yard, I was looking for Aero parts for underside but every car was up on stacked wheels destroying the parts I was looking for.
Shifted the search to MFSW, I thought I had looked at every Mk5 & Passat, I was about to head off when I spotted a black one.
It had the switches, weirdly the airbag had already been removed.. why leave the valuable switches?
Took the switches and the module out in one piece, cost at my yard for one set of switches a bargain £6

Cheeky celebratory Burger King on the way home - no que at the drive through - Great success!

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2020, 05:39:12 pm »
I was too keen to wait till daylight...head torch + I was careful & didnt disconnect battery...fitted:

Worked straight away thanks to mine being DSG

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2020, 03:56:09 pm »
Yesterday I finished work for the year and has freed me up to get a chance to do stuff with the Golf.

First task was to get rid of all the old parts I had accumulated- The majority of the stuff was a pile of rusty Mk5 parts, Mk4 hatch and a clothes airer in the front garden:

Loaded up I have some nice tuck:

Took that lot to be weighted in, weigh bridge on entry 1630, emptied 1430kg - thats with fuel tank hovering around the red line - operator said it was a heavy car! 
So for 200kg of mixed steel and cast iron I got £25, a little bit better than £0 if I took it to the council waste centre.

One thing I had been reading about right from start with the Mk5 was OEM aero upgrades, there is a great thread on here.
Between Ebay & TPS I got all these and the hardware to fit:

Engine undertray was from TPS, I am friendly with the guys there and they give me discount, pattern copies on ebay without the vents are £50, I was really surprised when a genuine one was £50 plus vat. If I remember its a TT undertray, difference from shorty one is:

Should speed up engine warm up, keep bay cleaner and reduce drag - from initial short drive it is noticeably quieter.
I also fitted the pyramid strips too, very easy to install.
The last piece to fit is the curvy part that smoothes out air after the fuel tank - it bolts onto the subframe, one side needs drilling to install a captive riv-nut stud and a bracket installed on the other side - going to wait till the spring to do this part.
Last thing I did to the Golf was an oil service. So the nagging "service now" chime is silenced for another year.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2020, 09:18:40 pm »
Yesterday I finished work for the year and has freed me up to get a chance to do stuff with the Golf.

First task was to get rid of all the old parts I had accumulated- The majority of the stuff was a pile of rusty Mk5 parts, Mk4 hatch and a clothes airer in the front garden:

Loaded up I have some nice tuck:

Took that lot to be weighted in, weigh bridge on entry 1630, emptied 1430kg - thats with fuel tank hovering around the red line - operator said it was a heavy car! 
So for 200kg of mixed steel and cast iron I got £25, a little bit better than £0 if I took it to the council waste centre.

One thing I had been reading about right from start with the Mk5 was OEM aero upgrades, there is a great thread on here.
Between Ebay & TPS I got all these and the hardware to fit:

Engine undertray was from TPS, I am friendly with the guys there and they give me discount, pattern copies on ebay without the vents are £50, I was really surprised when a genuine one was £50 plus vat. If I remember its a TT undertray, difference from shorty one is:

Should speed up engine warm up, keep bay cleaner and reduce drag - from initial short drive it is noticeably quieter.
I also fitted the pyramid strips too, very easy to install.
The last piece to fit is the curvy part that smoothes out air after the fuel tank - it bolts onto the subframe, one side needs drilling to install a captive riv-nut stud and a bracket installed on the other side - going to wait till the spring to do this part.
Last thing I did to the Golf was an oil service. So the nagging "service now" chime is silenced for another year.
What’s the part numbers for those parts?

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2020, 01:26:16 pm »
What’s the part numbers for those parts?

Here you go-

Engine undertray:
1K0 825 237 P
3x 1K0 825 951 - you re-use the original 8 at the front & these 3 bolt into subframe

Pyramid parts are:
1K0825002B
1K0825001B
10x N 103 546 02
4x N 909 591 01

Fuel tank smoother-outer
1K0501713E
1x 1K0 501 682
1x N 905 483 05
1x N 901 838 02
1x N 910 011 01 -this is the riv-nut stud, apparently later rear axles have this stud built in

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2021, 10:28:36 pm »
Been a while since any update-
I finally got my front bearings to go into my passat hubs - suspect its going to be a while before weather is favourable - also a 3D printed walnut blasting vacuum thingy, going to get a cheap top feed blaster gun and add a length of metal fuel line to get into the cylinder head:

Christmas present to myself was some chineseum carbon DSG extenders:

And fitted:

They are real carbon with a good gel coat, they seem to be a vacuum formed hollow shell, but couldn't see a air hole -unless its hidden under the double sided tape - really pleased they have no random company logo, only the +&-

Offline BillyTahir

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • ED30 #1011
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2021, 08:57:24 pm »
Public holiday for me today, so its the final push to get the Golf back on 4 wheels

Torqued up all the assembled bolts, started adding the Scirocco back plates and then the new bearings, seems the brake discs fouling the aluminium back plates, these got adjusted with hammer so they fit all round.

I had noticed the right rear caliper hard pipe between flexi and caliper was corroded -MOT fail - and the same pipe on other side was badly made when the garage fitted a new caliper after last years MOT.
I decided to swap both calipers over for the ones I rebuilt but paint was a disaster, this was along with the last Hel stainless brake lines.

Last steps were installing the mid control arm, and re-mounted the back box on the exhaust - surprisingly easy, hardest part was undoing the clamp.
Brakes bled, putting the wheels back on and off the axle stands. After a quick drive round the block I found the superpro engine mount had introduced a vibration in the dash at low speeds, and can feel the rear wheels fighting each other -alignment booked for Wednesday.

Along with them being lighter and ABS sensors really easy to remove - the Scirocco hubs do increase track and push the wheels out - Look no spacers:

Done good job there mate looks nice with scirocco, but im abit 50/50 with poly bushing my rear dont fancy the vibration haha

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2021, 09:22:44 pm »
Hi where did you get the shifters from please? Have you got a link? I've currently got the metal ones but yours look much nicer.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2021, 10:13:13 pm »
Hi where did you get the shifters from please? Have you got a link? I've currently got the metal ones but yours look much nicer.

Thanks fella - I got them from aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001874692654.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6e544c4dMoUDZr
Delivery was quick & sticky pads have held.

Offline shannon-ob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fqvsv858r4ihtgsnvgh408sjj2&/topic,124095.0.html
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2021, 02:08:28 pm »

Thanks Fella -
I was meaning to discreetly pull the rear lip out a bit with an arch roller to help clearance, but may look odd.
I thought Rocco hubs added 10mm a side but may have misread or got mixed up with 10mm spacers that I was initially looking at - from my research should have fitted without this issue, but I wanted something more discrete and OEM +reduced unsprung weight is a bonus too.
It seems the extra 2mm must causing the rubbing, its not constant or prolonged so it's not a big issue for me just now.

Sadly you'll still struggle.

I'm just going to fit a BTCC arch kit, although my car is a track car!
MY 3 DOOR 370BHP MANUAL GTI TRACK BUILD - WAVETRACK DIFF, CAGED, POLYCARBS, KO4, DB9 BRAKES, METH, BARTEK, VIS, HELIX PADDLE CLUTCH/SMF, FLOCKED DASH, 18X9 PRO RACE

https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,124095.0.html

Instagrams;
@shannon_ob
@dinger_developments