Make a donation

Author Topic: LC5F's Graphite Blue GTI - Pilgrimage to Caffeine & Machine  (Read 38564 times)

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
Re: LC5F's Graphite Blue GTI - Tooth Fairy Visited
« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2021, 05:33:38 pm »
Great update! :congrats:

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2021, 07:52:46 pm »
Thanks @GVK

@Pudding
Went for a run this evening to capture 032 and read 033 is a good health check too - unsure how to interpret  the numbers though!
Unsure if its a good test period - problem is I'm in the city and tricky to open it up to give a more varied use - Any way this is after start up:

And after a longer run around the block it reported:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2021, 08:54:26 am »
So far so good  :happy2:   You will definitely need a lot more miles on it to get a better picture, but those numbers basically just mean fuelling tweaks the ECU has to make to get the actual and requested lambda numbers to match.   The bigger the numbers, the worse the intake is as it generally points to the MAF scaling being completely wrong, which is a common problem with aftermarket kits.

So long as neither exceed 5%, all is good  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2021, 04:38:01 pm »
Golf is in its MOT window so need to keep everything sweet - the ABS error seems to have calmed itself down and has not flashed up for a week or so - hopefully I only have the blown bulb warning to worry about - that pops up randomly with the Mk7 LED number plate lights.

To complete the overhaul, I still have Passat alloy hubs and new bearings to fit, bought new ABS sensors to fit with the hubs, if the ABS warning re-appears I will swap out the sensor - hubs can wait until after MOT, just incase I cut/nick a boot on a ball joint or track rod end.

Sourced an INA drive belt tensioner, like the timing chain tensioner it has the VAG PN ground off:

Found a temporary cable tie mod to keep the drive belt in place while removing the tensioner... all to avoid jacking up, removing the wheel and dropping the undertray... worked great until I dropped the bottom most bolt while pulling the tensioner out. out came the jack, wheel off, but had success with telescopic magnet to fish the bolt out:

New tensioner has really quietened down the engine a lot, the pulley on the old tensioner had only a very small amount of play, but this creating a fretting noise and I could see the arm moving around - making a lot of noise

I have now had the Mk5 for nearly 2 years, decided to treat it to a new cabin filter, the old filter was replaced not long after purchase, it was full of tree debris so due for change:

I didn't realise that hidden under cardboard in the bottom of the crate my head came back in were my old valves, they are a bit more bent than they were after belt slip - valves were jammed open with springs compressed - so to get the collets out the valve had to be hammered over to allow the spring to be compressed:

Seemed I was very much due a de-carbon - at least that is a small win!:

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2021, 07:32:50 pm »
MOT booked... thought everything had calmed down, but there was nothing at my conveniently close garage till 16th of October! - used to be booking within a week.

Been peering into how many writes the ECU on my engine and DSG box have with VCDS, an unmolested ECU should be zero:

So both have 1 programming attempt/success - I can only assume my Golf is remapped with a generic map

Always suspected the gearbox had been tweaked, it's really good shifting to suit throttle/demand (just how Revo describe their map), in comparison the wifes C7 A6 is also Audi DSG and its very different, slow changes and holding on to gears when it shouldn't.

But the engine power has always just been OK - it feels like standard power, on boost power is OK, but gets delivered in a big lump...could just be the Mk5 being a lot smoother/quieter to previous turbo cars.

Got me thinking it may be a Revo map, reading up the map get reset to standard after battery removal, seemed to make sense... Plus the Golf has always been a Scottish car, the most widespread tuner up here North of the wall is Revo.

Contacted them and they were kind to check...sadly they replied with a no - so I have a mystery remap

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2021, 12:14:50 pm »
Mine's in for MOT now.  Got given a god awful Up! as a loaner  :grin:  I know it's a cheap car, with only 30K on it, but it feels and sounds about 10x older than my GTI  :grin:

Anyway, well done on the cable tie trick, that's what I do  :happy2:  I don't even like jacking the car up to do an oil change, let alone a belt!

Those intake valves aren't actually too bad, in terms of carbon build up. I've seen a lot worse!

Interesting on the remaps.  You could look through the history and call the dealer(s), or HQ, to see if it had a dealer update at some point?  It will be on their records if it has.  I'm not aware of any dealer applied ECU updates (mine's never had any) but you never know.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2021, 12:45:48 pm »
Pleased to say the Golf the passed its MOT -
I was a little nervous of my new PipeWerx sport-cat downpipe, been reading a lot of alarming reports on here of these failing their first MOT...
But shouldn't have worried, it provided CO figures of:
Fast idle - 0.07% - Maximum of 0.20%
Natural idle - 0.04% - Maximum of 0.30%

Typical - last night after a sudden burst of speed the ABS light flashed up and went away...cleared it this morning and took it for a 20 minute drive before dropping the Golf off 15 minutes before MOT appointment.

Only one advisory - sticking off-side handbrake cable - hopefully that can wait till spring, will replace both at the same time - fingers crossed we don't get snow, my Mk5 is the best car I have ever had for hand brake turns.

Those intake valves aren't actually too bad, in terms of carbon build up. I've seen a lot worse!

Interesting on the remaps.  You could look through the history and call the dealer(s), or HQ, to see if it had a dealer update at some point?  It will be on their records if it has.  I'm not aware of any dealer applied ECU updates (mine's never had any) but you never know.

Yes - seen much worse valves too, but feel they were cruddy enough - if they hadn't been destroyed - I would have wanted them cleaned.
Are you saying it possibly a dealer update rather than re-map? it has a lot of dealer stamps in it its service book.
Got some time off next week, may make a trip out to the dealer with something to bribe them to look the information up
-Halloween is great for cheap sweets!

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2021, 02:41:06 pm »
Pleased to say the Golf the passed its MOT -
I was a little nervous of my new PipeWerx sport-cat downpipe, been reading a lot of alarming reports on here of these failing their first MOT...
But shouldn't have worried, it provided CO figures of:
Fast idle - 0.07% - Maximum of 0.20%
Natural idle - 0.04% - Maximum of 0.30%

Hooray! Those are some cracking numbers for a sports cat... do PipeWerx use MagnaFlow cats do you know? Every car I’ve ever had with a MagnaFlow cat on has passed its mot and I’m pretty sure this one on my MPD downpipe is.
Getting too old for this...

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2021, 05:50:27 pm »
Hooray! Those are some cracking numbers for a sports cat... do PipeWerx use MagnaFlow cats do you know? Every car I’ve ever had with a MagnaFlow cat on has passed its mot and I’m pretty sure this one on my MPD downpipe is.

Cheers -
I was going to say I didn't know... but remembered I did snap a picture of the CAT PN and googled... you are correct, it's a Manaflow 59959:
https://www.magnaflow.com/products/59959-catalytic-converter-magnaflow-standard-grade-federal-epa-compliant-universal-catalytic-converter

Thanks for the prompt - it's good information to know and have the confidence that it should provide years of good use.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
Re: LC5F's Graphite Blue GTI - MOT'd to the Max!
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2021, 09:53:14 am »
Nice  :happy2:

Yes Magnaflow and Borla cats pass MOTs no problem.  Being American, they have to be California compliant......the strictest air quality regulations in the world.

Years ago, boring story bro, I built a Corrado VR6 turbo and the only aftermarket cat that got it through an MOT was a Magnaflow cat from a truck. A large square one, not the barrel design like the one linked, but that one looks great for building your own DP  :happy2:  Notice how cheap exhaust parts are in America compared to rip off UK!

Not ALL aftermarket cats fail the UK MOT, and not always on the first test. But many of them require excessive warming up prior to the test, and fail on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th test.

The Magnaflow one just breezed it.  No need to rag the sh1t out the car round the block 3 times prior to hooking up the gas analyzer.  Every single time I've used a sports cat (even a GESI one - often touted as the best), the tester always comments on them being borderline.

Anyway, cats schmats.  Boring topic.

Yeah it may just be a dealer update.  Just bought a MK6 TDI recently and that's been flashed.  Unfortunately we need VAS-PC and/or ODIS to compare the ECU file to what's on VW's firmware servers to be 100% sure.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2021, 05:56:15 pm »
Today -
Installed under seat drawers yielded from a recent scrap yard trip.
Fixed a clunking noise in the nearside door that occured turning left/right and a speaker crackle in the offside - both were the speaker cable adaptors similar to type shown below flapping about - some double sided number plate pads stuck them in place - no more clonk / or crackle:

Plus I had a little windfall a few weeks ago, invested in a GFB DV+ - pleased to report improved boost as expected, on off throttle greatly improved

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2021, 05:58:08 pm »
Nice  :happy2:

Yes Magnaflow and Borla cats pass MOTs no problem.  Being American, they have to be California compliant......the strictest air quality regulations in the world.

Years ago, boring story bro, I built a Corrado VR6 turbo and the only aftermarket cat that got it through an MOT was a Magnaflow cat from a truck. A large square one, not the barrel design like the one linked, but that one looks great for building your own DP  :happy2:  Notice how cheap exhaust parts are in America compared to rip off UK!

Pictures?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2021, 01:45:53 pm »
Nice one with the speaker crackle fix.  My passenger side has been doing that for years but I can't be bothered to take the door card off, or is it a door skin off job?

Here's a few.

I went through the whole modding program with it, starting with n'asp mods, supercharger, turbo and finally an R32 conversion.

The turbo conversion was just stupidly fun. I limited it to 400hp to keep the gearbox in one piece and it lasted 60K miles like that.  Other guys at the time (over 10 years ago now, sheesh) were running 500,600 and more from the same turbo (Garrett GT35R) but were eating gearboxes, CVs, driveshafts every few months.

After a bit of a stupid mapping error on my part, I blew the turbo engine. Rather than rebuild, I fancied a change and chucked the R32 in, but in hindsight it was a bad move.  A really, really boring engine.  R32 conversions were popular at the time because 12V VR6 parts were scarce (even from VW) so I sold it on easily enough.

Fun times, but never again  :grin: 

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2021, 07:51:37 pm »

Cheers - Nice colour - always had a soft spot for MO's too.

Actually - forgot, I have a mate up here in Scotland doing a big turbo 12v in a 4-motion Mk4 shell - he's very talented, adapting 1.8t management to run the VR6
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:18:37 pm by LC5F »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2021, 11:48:26 am »
Thanks  :smiley:  Ice Grey Violet is one of my favourite VW colours.  Not sure it would sit well on any other car but it certainly suited the Corrado.

4WD definitely recommended with a VR6 turbo, so that's a good move by him for sure.  That's an interesting choice of engine management and kudos to him if he gets it to work.  I used a standalone on mine as I preferred the freedom to tune it myself rather than having to drive for hours to a dyno.

OEM management has all the difficult tuning absolutely nailed out of the box (cold start, warm up, idle, part throttle, onset of boost etc etc) so I wouldn't recommend anyone mess with a standalone to be honest  :grin: