Make a donation

Author Topic: What adjustable top mounts with Eibach Pro Street S coilovers?  (Read 5018 times)

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
Re: What adjustable top mounts with Eibach Pro Street S coilovers?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 11:59:06 pm »
I have Silver project top mounts on my Lupo - for that application they are the only off the shelf option available -for the money they are OK

Powder coating seems ok
I will say the bolts that came with mine were a bit low rent so, replaced them with better ones.
They tend to use off the shelf bearings, that can be replaced, so uprated replacements may be possible.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 09:08:40 am »
The spring bearings are standard VW ones (but probably cheap patterns as genuines are around 25 quid each) and the damper rod support bearings can be replaced with higher quality NMB or Aurora bearings from somewhere like Merlin Motorsport.

That's what I did with my Ground Controls as the supplied spherical bearings were poop.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 04:34:11 pm »
So the Top Mounts arrived and have been fitted and overall Im very happy with them. Not had adjustable Top Mounts before to compare but the quality seems very good. They came with Febi bearings which are OE quality and were easy to adjust when fitted.

Set camber to around -2° and has pretty much eradicated any rubbing, only catches slightly on lock at camber so very happy with the outcome, especially considering how relatively cheap they were. Fitted slightly narrower spacers on the rear too and dialled in a bit more camber so thats pretty much sorted that, only rubs on harsh double-bumps but its also probably 5mm lower on the rear so will likely put the asjuster collar back in at some point to bring it up.

Anyway, happy overall and shall enjoy being able to drive it without wincing everytime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 12:18:04 pm »
Great news!  A far cheaper and more elegant solution than getting the grinder out  :grin:

Any rumbling/whirring noises in the cabin on coarse tarmac? That's generally a sign you have solid top mounts!  Some are noisier than others though.

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 03:01:04 pm »
Great news!  A far cheaper and more elegant solution than getting the grinder out  :grin:

Any rumbling/whirring noises in the cabin on coarse tarmac? That's generally a sign you have solid top mounts!  Some are noisier than others though.

Slightly noisier in the cabin but have uprated the subframe mounts at the same time so harder to determine if they are the reason. Not that noticeable though tbh and they have done the job so Im a happy bunny. Would definitely recommend for the money.

Rob

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 05:16:40 pm »
More good news!  I bet the steering feels a bit better also.  The dampers also respond better without having to compress a lump of rubber before moving!

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 09:36:25 am »
More good news!  I bet the steering feels a bit better also.  The dampers also respond better without having to compress a lump of rubber before moving!

Forgot to reply to you @Pudding !

In all honesty, Im not sure what benefits Ive noticed or why. The reason for my cryptic answer is 2 fold -

1) I didnt notice any immediate improvement in steering feel after having the top mounts fitted. I dont drive the car that aggressively so maybe thats why but certainly nothing major to make me take notice. What I did notice is the very slight tram lining and feel through the wheel which I assume is down to the additional Camber added.

2) At the same time (there or there abouts) I fitted a Polo 6R GTi steering wheel. In doing such I replaced the SWCM for a CH version and then had to follow the steering adaption & assist process again. Now the later SW is noticeably less 'chunky' than the Mk5 but that seems to suit me, so instantly noticed the difference but the other thing I noticed was that it felt like I was getting more steering angle for the same effort, as in I was having to turn the wheel less to turn the same amount. Now this would typically be associated with the extra camber I thought? However I didnt notice it after the Top Mounts but was very aware after I fitted the steering wheel so wondered if it were that I was now having more steering assist applied than previous? I know this was adjustable on the early Mk5's but fixed on the later so could resetting/re-adapting the values give me more assistance?

Either way Im happy with how it feels now...and will be even more so by the end of the day hopefully as after swapping in the Polo wheel I since sourced and now have a Clubsport steering wheel being delivered!  :driver: (Polo wheel will be for sale with airbag if anyone is interested  :wink:)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 04:00:13 pm »
Interesting!  I've used solid top mounts in other VWs and felt the improvement straight away.  Maybe because the MK5's rubber bit is pretty thin compared to older VWs, it's already pretty stiff to begin with.

I'm not sure a different SWCM would affect the steering weight?  That's part of the steering rack controller I thought?  I know what you mean though, you get the same increased steering angle from the same steering wheel input when fitting Passat hubs, but there is a mechanical reason for that  :happy2: 

Glad you're happy with it now and got the arch rubbing sorted  :smiley: