Make a donation

Author Topic: Worth Tuning the K03 Engine?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline kpowell911

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Worth Tuning the K03 Engine?
« on: October 26, 2019, 01:10:39 pm »
Hello, I picked up a cheap 2007 GTI 5 door on 96k, as a friend hadn't used it since Jan. I've spent a fair amount of time and money on it, mainly on essential and preemptive maintenance. Im going to then today it up cosmetically but then I'm sort of at a cross roads....

By the time Ive finished with the servicing and tidying up etc Im going to have what hopefully will be a clean and well maintained GTI, so the next step appears to be tuning.

Im relatively local to R-Tech, so Id imagine ill use them, but I don't know exactly what's worth doing as its only the K03 200bhp version?

At the moment it has a Ramair Intake, Im guessing all its worth me doing is an exhaust and map? I'm guessing Its not worth investing in a Turbo conversion?

Would I be better off just cleaning it up and part ex'ing for a K-04'd TFSI, such as an Edition 30 or S3?

If I do decide to be sensible and stay at Stage 1, what sort of exhaust do you recommend without spending a fortune? I originally intended on a 2.75" Custom Cat Back, or a Resonated Miltek 2.75", but Im hearing the gains aren't in the cat back?

Im guessing Turbo Back would give me the most power, but is it worth the hassle running no cat? IS it possible to have no EML Light on with no cat? Sports Cat's aren't an option on my budget I down think? IS changing the exhaust even necessary on K-03?

Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Worth Tuning the K03 Engine?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 07:09:29 pm »
Try a Stage 1 map with a precat delete and see how you get on with that.

Yeah you can code out the second lambda sensor but that will need doing at the same time as the remap.

Gains are smaller after Stage 1 and the hardware starts mounting up cost wise, so if the Stage 1 doesn't float boat, you might be better off saving up for a K04 conversion or drop a CDL lump in  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D