Make a donation

Author Topic: Uneconomical repair, possibly  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Uneconomical repair, possibly
« on: October 30, 2019, 02:49:53 am »
So following on from my insurance question a couple of weeks ago, which is still ongoing regards who is at fault etc and expect it to take a while too, I've been pondering on possible outcomes but if anyone who has been in a similar situation can shed any light or give advice it would be very helpful  :happy2:

I have spoken to a couple of mates who both recommended a repair shop to have the work done. It's also a vw approved one for warranty work so it won't be cheap. I'd much prefer this option so I will try and get a quote soon and see what they say.
I don't want to go into great detail about the damage whilst the insurance thing is ongoing but my main concern is if the costs don't make it viable for the insurance company then what?
Can they insist you go to a cheaper alternative?
If they deem in uneconomical to repair and once a value figure is settled on can I buy it back if so what percentage of the payout would I lose, or does that vary from company to company.....?

Hopefully it won't come to this and the repair will go ahead ok, I'm just thinking of the worst case scenario   :scared:

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:51:26 am by Lewo »

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Uneconomical repair, possibly
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:42:27 am »
They cant make you take the car to their choice you are within your rights to use your own repairer If its deemed  uneconomical you should be able negotiate a buy back Theres no set buy back cost you would have to negotiate, Best of luck

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 11:08:06 pm »
Ok I'll stick with the repair place that mates have used.
Just wondered if agreed value was say 3.5k what they would want to charge me to keep it...?

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 10:38:14 am »
Just a word of advice regards the uneconomical repair outcome. It will pay you to state to them early on you would want to do that. If you allow them to assess it and the assessor is 'keen' theres a chance they will declare the vehicle as a loss to the DVLA. Once done you can't unstitch that so your vehicle will be cat N or 'old D' status. SO you buying it back isn't such a good idea as first thought as your car is now categorised.
If you negotiate that avenue early on you'd avoid categorising it and so it would be HPI clear when you ever came to move it on.

I stand to be corrected but that's what I discovered recently.

Either way, hope you get your car back into tip top order. :happy2:

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 12:20:53 am »
Thanks chig, I'll have a chat with them next week.