Make a donation

Author Topic: Fan problems  (Read 811 times)

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
Fan problems
« on: December 23, 2019, 12:44:50 pm »
Afternoon all. Recently I replaced the cooling fan  assembly because the smaller of the 2 didn't work. Since then sometimes when I turn the car off after about 15 to 20 seconds the fans come at full blast and seem to stay on. The only way to get them off is to turn the engine back on. Sometimes I need to do this 3 or 4 times before leaving the car. Also it doesn't seem to happen every time. Any ideas?

Offline fahim4094

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Fan problems
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 01:03:42 pm »
HI,

I had a similar issue with my one, I replaced the battery and the fan sensor - that helped

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 04:14:21 pm »
That does help. Was the battery change because the fans ruined it or was that part of the fix?

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 01:02:45 am »
Also did you have any issue with the AC working for a while then closing all the flaps to vents? I still hear the fan running in the dash but no air comes out the vents until I hit the econ button. Wonder if this is related to the engine cooling fan issue?

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 02:31:12 am »
The fan behaviour is tied into the A/C as much as the coolant temp, so a diagnostic scan might not be a bad idea.  The fans can also come on as part of the after run cool down routine, which is tied into the electric water pump control.  They shouldn't stay on for more than 5 minutes though.  Pretty complicated the fans on these cars!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D