Make a donation

Author Topic: Noob needing help! sloppy gear box  (Read 654 times)

Offline JLUDS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Noob needing help! sloppy gear box
« on: November 06, 2019, 01:23:13 pm »
Hi,

Hope you're all good, I'm after some advice and was wondering whether any of you could help...

I've just bought a MK5 GTI and already love it! proper clicked with the car , it does however have some issues.

The shocks are completely fried and the springs are to low so its virtually running on its bump stops. I've ordered Bilstein B4 Shocks and Eibach springs and starline top mounts and the kit came with new bump stops too so I'm hoping that will solve that issue.

When doing a tight turn in the car park today I also noticed that there was a clunk / knocking noise when doing tight turns, I'm going to get the garage to have a look whilst its in I just wanted to get some sort of rough idea of what you thought and price?

Only other issue with the car is the gearbox, I don't know whether this is normal for a car on 90k miles but there's quite a lot of slop (movement) while its in gear, you can move it quite a bit from side to side and just doesn't make for a satisfying shift.

I've tried to research into gear shift bushings etc but my knowledge on cars is really limited only stuff I know its because I like them no mechanical knowledge as such.

If any of you have any advice for the gear shifts and what is worth changing and what's snake oil it would be appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:51:19 pm by JLUDS »