Make a donation

Author Topic: Banging from engine bay with wheelspin  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Shrek1493

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Banging from engine bay with wheelspin
« on: November 23, 2019, 03:38:15 pm »
Whilst I was playing with car after remap to see the performance upgrade benefits and turning traction off, whilst wheel spinning there was a repeated banging noise from the front, would this be engine mount problems or am I completely wrong.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Banging from engine bay with wheelspin
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 04:37:08 pm »
Get someone to rev the engine whilst stationary have a look see if the engine shunts around if it is could be a mounting

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rb0t6qh7425u8mhma0lfj2gfi7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 04:43:28 pm »
Its axle tramp... you wont get rid of it completely no matter what you try

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 05:44:58 pm »
Axle tramp or commonly known as wheel hop. My old GTI used to do this a lot nearer the end, but never when I first brought it, never did figure out the problem as I didn’t want to throw money at all sorts. You can replace some parts to help prevent it, but I think a lot of it happens because the traction control tries to stop the spin and then with the on/off of the traction control the wheels just thud! If the traction is turned off i bet it doesn’t do it half as much if at all depending on grip. Just make sure your tyres are good, wheels are balanced and tracking is spot on. Found these helped with my old GTI.
I think shocks would make a big difference but never changed them on mine to confirm. The stiffer rebound will help prevent the wheel from bouncing up (that’s my theory)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shrek1493

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 05:46:30 am »
Thanks the response, this was with traction off and in the damp when this happened.
I may have to do some investigation into this.

Offline ady-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 10:57:55 pm »
Yes, this is axel tramp/wheel hop. You can lessen it by getting a dog-bone insert, the lower gearbox mount bushing infill, but you will never get rid of it completely.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 08:23:34 am »
Recommend the Powerflex engine / gearbox mount inserts to keep the motor from rocking about.  Anti lift / offset castor bushes will also help.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 08:33:34 am »
I had the powerflex gearbox mount in my old GTI and tbh I didn’t really notice much difference. When I brought the car it didn’t axle tramp at all, but for a while near the end of my ownership it was axle tramping so bad, someone I knew said there mate had it and had it fixed (they wasn’t into tuning) so it makes me believe bad axle tramp is something else worn with age and mileage.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 05:59:48 pm »
I think shocks would make a big difference but never changed them on mine to confirm. The stiffer rebound will help prevent the wheel from bouncing up (that’s my theory)

Yep.  A combination of parts are required to shift it.  Stiffer console bushes, stiffer engine mounts, better tyres and more importantly.....as you say.....better dampers and stiffer springs.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 08:32:25 pm »

Yep.  A combination of parts are required to shift it.  Stiffer console bushes, stiffer engine mounts, better tyres and more importantly.....as you say.....better dampers and stiffer springs.
I defo think springs and shocks pay a huge part in it. I suffer the same symptoms with my touran if I hoon it up hill in the wet, the only thing that’s not been replaced on that set up is the centre polly bush, shocks and springs. Like I say, my previous GTI didnt do it when I purchased the car, but 40k after it was doing it so violent it was unreal.. never did replace the shocks and springs but I bet it would have helped a lot!

Offline Shrek1493

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 01:41:18 pm »
Ok cool.thanks cor all the advice regarding this, I guess my next purchase will have to be those then, any recommendations what to go for or just best to get stock items.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 06:11:46 pm »

I defo think springs and shocks pay a huge part in it. I suffer the same symptoms with my touran if I hoon it up hill in the wet, the only thing that’s not been replaced on that set up is the centre polly bush, shocks and springs. Like I say, my previous GTI didnt do it when I purchased the car, but 40k after it was doing it so violent it was unreal.. never did replace the shocks and springs but I bet it would have helped a lot!

Better shocks and springs definitely help calm the violence, but the hop is caused by the geometry changing (toe) from the strut moving backwards and forwards as the tyre loses and regains grip.  The only way to shift it completely is with much stiffer consoles, top mounts and front wishbone bushes. Ideally solid, but they're not great for refinement.  Unequal length driveshafts don't help either as one twists more than the other.

On the last point, you can actually retrofit the equal length shafts from the BKD diesel engine  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D