Make a donation

Author Topic: Obd fault  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Alynponty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
Obd fault
« on: November 24, 2019, 11:57:18 am »
Hi guys this is now becoming a real headache, my obd port isn't working,  so far I've replaced the fuse, disconnected radio, pulled radio fuse swapped out the aftermarket stereo for a vw unit and yet still dead, the only thing on the car that is aftermarket now are some sweeper mirror indicators,  could this cause the obd to fail? Need to get this done asap as my mother is due and I'm assuming a previous owner has coded daytime running lights as my headlight switch doesn't work my headlights are just on all the time , I hate it apart from looking like an idiot it will cause an not fail as I can not switch between side lights and dipped , hoping some of you guys may have an answer as Facebook groups seem full of know it alls who actually don't seem to know anything,  I had a friend come up and he tested between port  4 and 7 I think it was and it gave around 10v which he said sounds like a canbus error, I'm trying to avoid an auto leccy if I can as with xmas around the corner I'd rather not have to fork out a load of cash on it, any ideas would he greatly appreciated , I'm located in south Wales if there's anyone local to me who may know what to try, cheers all, alyn.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Offline Alynponty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
Re: Obd fault
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 01:12:49 pm »
I meant my mot is due not my mother

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 01:46:36 pm »
Don't know how far you are from Pontypridd theres a good diagnostic guy Mike Bebb p.m if you need his Tel. numbers

Offline Alynponty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 01:51:25 pm »
Don't know how far you are from Pontypridd theres a good diagnostic guy Mike Bebb p.m if you need his Tel. numbers
Hi mate I know bebby, if I cant get it sorted out myself hes already said hell take a look I was just hoping to not have to spend any money on it before xmas , the other guy local who's been highly recommended is the guy down behind autoparts in pontypridd,  I'm living in treharris now but I'm from the forest originally, 

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 03:57:37 pm »
Have you checked all leads disturbed when changing radio were reconnected

Offline Alynponty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 04:13:30 pm »
Yes mate, there are 2 very thin orange wires connected where I read on Ross tech that are better not to be but I'd rather find out for sure before I go cutting any, think they were called canbus wires??? Cant remember off hand , I know it wasn't k line

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 04:15:45 pm »
you could try disconnecting the light switch in case something inside is shorting out and your lights are always on a permanent live and causing issues?

have you checked all the pins and connections on the OBD etc?

Offline Alynponty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 04:18:23 pm »
you could try disconnecting the light switch in case something inside is shorting out and your lights are always on a permanent live and causing issues?

have you checked all the pins and connections on the OBD etc?
I did try disconnecting the light switch to no avail , my mate came up and tested the 4 to 7  pins on the obd and said it was 10v and should be below 9 I think he said, but no idea where to go from there , with xmas so close and mot due on dec 11th last thing I wanted was to be paying out on an auto electrician but might be my only choice unless I figure something else out

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 04:46:15 pm »
Theres a site bbareman some clever guys on there might be worth a go

Offline Alynponty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 07:44:39 pm »
All sorted, turned out to be a trapped wire causing the fuse to blow everytime, only trouble now since the guy fixed it my intermittent wipers now don't work lol