Make a donation

Author Topic: Harsh front suspension - what to check / replace?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline recardo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Harsh front suspension - what to check / replace?
« on: November 26, 2019, 05:37:17 pm »
hoping the MK5 collective can help give me some pointers please!

The front suspension on my GTi seems overly harsh and very crashy, on some surfaces banging/thumping harshly as it feels like the tyres are doing the work of absorbing impact not the shocks etc...   I suspect my car has been lowered at some point in its past (springs are red) but I feel it should not be as harsh as it currently is.  The back end feels more compliant and doesnt bang and crash over bumps.
If it ever stops raining, I will check what I can for any obvious movement, all bolts being tight etc (subframe, droplinks, control arms, top mounts etc)

Are there any obvious suspects to check first or to replace as either preventative maintenance or good practice?  Top mounts? certain bushes?
Mileage is nearly 120K so I do expect some items will need refreshed - where should I start?

thanks! :notworthy:

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Harsh front suspension - what to check / replace?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:38:35 am »
Top mountings and shocks?

Offline recardo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 04:48:04 pm »
everything is solid, no clunking or anything sounding loose or worn.  I've had a look and everying is tight with no movement.

I'm erring towards the shocks - pressing down on the front of the car - there is very little movement, maybe 10mm travel at most. 

If there is no damping in the shocks then effectively they are always bottomed out and they wont absorb any changes in the road surface, hence the harsh ride?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 05:37:08 pm »
The back end is lighter and has longer, softer springs, so can't be used as a reference point.

Could be knackered front dampers as you say.  Are they OEMs? The GTI isn't the best over rough roads anyway, even with fresh suspension.  Compared to the previous generation GTI, all of the bushes are considerably smaller and stiffer to inject some life into the chassis, which comes at a refinement cost.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline recardo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 06:40:11 pm »
Have sourced another set of standard Sachs shocks and springs.  Rears are done, just waiting on new top mounts for the fronts, will hopefully fit Thurs or Fri and then see what difference the standard set up makes to how it drives.

Offline recardo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 09:29:56 am »
by way of an update, fitted standard shocks and springs with new top mounts etc.  definitely an improvement over the previous lowered (knackered) setup.

Its still a firm ride, but more compliant. :happy2: