Make a donation

Author Topic: Fault with electric mirrors  (Read 1807 times)

Offline nwa287

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Fault with electric mirrors
« on: December 02, 2019, 05:03:45 pm »
Hi,

Searching the forum didn't yield the answer to this, so hopefully this isn't a repeat question.  The wing mirror control has been playing up in my car for the last few days:

Selecting the left mirror controls the left mirror, as it should
Selecting the right mirror controls the left mirror.  Essentially the right mirror is stuck in place
The fold-in setting still works

I haven't adjusted them for a while, so the fault could be long standing, but I did recently have a near-flat battery on a particularly cold night.  Long story short, the battery got low enough that I couldn't start the car until a few hours later, and the clock also reset to midnight.  I wondered if the two could be connected.  The car is now running fine, and all the other electrics seems to be ok too (with the exception that my new iPhone won't charge from the cigarette lighter, and I have intermittent door latch failure which I just need to find some time to replace).

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions at all, please.

The car is a 56 plate Mk5 GTI, DSG.

Thanks,

nwa287

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: Fault with electric mirrors
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 03:50:24 pm »
Hi, as you know, the right mirror will briefly adjust the left too. but if the right isnt moving at all, it might have something to do with the motor in the mirror.  can you hear any noises like its trying to move?

Offline nwa287

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 09:54:50 am »
Thank you - I'll check and report back...

Offline nwa287

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 08:37:37 pm »
So there is no sound coming from the right wing mirror when I try and control it. All that happens is that the joystick controls the left mirror (both when the left mirror is selected and when the right one is selected). It sounds like some electrical confusion... any thoughts on how to go about fixing it?

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 12:48:56 pm »
So there is no sound coming from the right wing mirror when I try and control it. All that happens is that the joystick controls the left mirror (both when the left mirror is selected and when the right one is selected). It sounds like some electrical confusion... any thoughts on how to go about fixing it?

It sounds like the mirrors are working as they should potentially. As @muff1991 said, the Left mirror will adjust when the Right mirror is selected by the switch so the Left mirror adjusting on selecting both the Left & Right on the switch is the correct behaviour. The issue sounds like it would well be to do with the motor in the Right mirror or the wiring to it. The motor is where I would start looking.

Rob
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:52:46 pm by RobC »

Offline nwa287

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 08:42:35 pm »
Thanks Rob - will investigate. To be clear, the left mirror also moves when I select just the right mirror. I’m assuming that’s not normal...?

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 09:31:24 pm »
Hi NWA,
The left mirror is supposed to move when adjusting the right mirror, it kind of assists sorting the left when adjusting the right but if you ask me it’s a pain sometimes.
Does that clear things up? It may seem abnormal but it is normal.
I too would look at the right hand motor in the mirror if it’s not moving and just making a noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nwa287

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 12:14:18 am »
Thanks muff. The right mirror is not making any noise at all - it’s totally unresponsive. I’ll explore and let you know if I figure it out. Thanks.

Offline nwa287

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 07:14:53 pm »
The mirror has miraculously started working since replacing the door lock on the driver’s door. Coincidence most likely... or possibly something the mechanic fixed via VCDS while he had the car. Thanks to all for the suggestions.