Make a donation

Author Topic: Door handle loose AND unable to remove locking tumbler/barrel  (Read 3047 times)

Offline numbahwan

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
This spring, the front passenger door of my 2007 GTI stopped locking. Thanks to multiple in-depth guides, I was able to find and replace the door lock module/actuator yesterday afternoon. However, "Installation is the reverse of removal" was NOT as true or simple as classic Haynes Manual-speak.

Here is a picture of the handle afterwards

see http://imgur.com/a/GPPVJ if not working

Problems:

1) Currently, the biggest problem is that I'm unable to remove the locking tumbler/barrel after loosening the T20 torx screw behind the grey sticker. I did NOT loosen the screw to the point of falling out. While loosening it as much as I reasonably can, though, the barrel just won't budge at all (see marks from attempts to pry it out). Any idea why?

This thread on page 3 (http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52585.30.html) shows a similar problem by mattp244, but the solution was not shared online and the thread has been dormant for a while.

2) Any idea how to remove the slack on the door handle? The mk5golfgti.co.uk OP wrote, "When screwing in the T20 screw through the hole, as you do it, it will probably bang. This is the mechanism taking up the slack on the cable and is normal." I didn't hear any noise when tightening the T20.

I'm also wondering if I should have attached the small black clip at the end of the cable to a groove closer to the outside of the handle. Does that increase the pressure on the handle? Both the lock actuator that came with the car and the one I'm replacing it with are third party locks.

Offline Markis236

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • If in dout boost it out !
    • Email
  • My Ride: Mk5 golf gti (ko3) mods. Audi s3 8p intercooler,psi tuning 2.5' throttle pipe,updated diverted valve,revo oil catch can
Re: Door handle loose AND unable to remove locking tumbler/barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:45:53 am »
I have the same problem with both my doors hahah so only here for answers

Offline Neil 54

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:10:47 pm »
Hi when loosening and tightening the bolt you need to have the handle pulled out as if opening the door hope this helps

Offline Markis236

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • If in dout boost it out !
    • Email
  • My Ride: Mk5 golf gti (ko3) mods. Audi s3 8p intercooler,psi tuning 2.5' throttle pipe,updated diverted valve,revo oil catch can
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:09:42 pm »
This fixed the passenger door but the drivers door is just not playing ball at all !!!

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23

Offline McNaughty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 12:03:10 pm »
I have just completed this job on MK5 GTI rear door, you have to pull the handle open when moving that bolt, otherwise the mechanism fails inside the door, which means the door skin has to come off again! Unscrew that bolt 12 times only, this will give you the movement needed. You have to pre arm the handle using a pair of pliers pull the spring on the actuator and put in the handle section. When you pull the cable into the handle it will set itself on your first pull of the handle with a clonk noise. keep the handle pulled out and do up the bolt. That should help.