Make a donation

Author Topic: CAI v panel gains?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Bigjimknickers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
CAI v panel gains?
« on: December 15, 2019, 06:02:17 pm »
Ok first off- yes I tried a search!
I just wondered if anyone had ever noted the gains in bhp for a stage 1 & a CAI v stage 1 & panel filter?
Talking about a mk5 gti 2.0 tfsi. :thinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: CAI v panel gains?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 06:39:54 pm »
You won't notice the gains of a CAI until 5000rpm upwards, but once up there the gains are much bigger than a panel filter.  Just comes down to noise and off boost throttle response preferences.  A large proportion of people who fit CAIs end up refitting the standard airbox, so that from that what you will.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 02:39:05 pm »
Had an APR stage 1 re-map done on our car, it was just fine, nice increase in torque.

Fitted a panel filter later and it made no difference as far as I could tell.

Got hold of an intake, WOW, what a difference, great noise and noticeable increase in power, very happy.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 06:11:48 pm »
The factory airbox is the problem with panel filters......minimal gains....and tbh, you'd be better off with oem paper in that scenario since the MAF is extremely intolerant of dirt.....which all aftermarket panel filters let in.   At least with CAIs, the filter is much, much further away from the MAF, so reduced risk somewhat.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 12:16:31 am »
Just noticed this thread.
I did a pre cat delete and fitted a panel filter and HP was 213, unfortunately I have no idea of how much gain for each one individually lol.  :rolleye:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 12:57:28 am »
I read an article some 14 years ago....right after the MK5 came out. The article was one Tuner adding an Intake, Down-pipe, and then a tune. They did dyno(rolling road) pulls after each install and then following the tuning.

So, with it not yet tuned, they did some baseline pulls to see its all stock HP
Then the intake was installed and more dyno pulls. The results were a bit under baseline to 2 or 3 more HP. The average was zero added HP.

They then did the DP, and it was the same. A pull or two were under the baseline average and a couple up to 4 or 5 more HP. The average with both the intake and DP was 3 or 4 HP.

Finally they tuned it and finally saw the gains.

Adding an intake and DP to a non-tuned MK5 may add no more than 3 or 4 HP...some may see more due to the condition of theirs now, but the Tuner that did this was with a new MK5. They also figure Wheel HP on Dyno's here, so its BHP may be more like 4 or 5 BHP more than stock.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 01:49:34 pm »
Even with a tune, exhaust and intake gains are minimal compared the huge slug of extra coal you get from software alone.  All too often I've paid out for expensive mods advertised as extra hot sauce, but in reality were milder than a McDonalds Spicy bean burger. 

If I could turn back time, I would tell my 6 year younger self:  "Don't waste your money or time on X,Y,Z.....just get a HPFP, Stage 1 tune and damned good suspension"