Make a donation

Author Topic: What next after a MK5 GTI....  (Read 3426 times)

Offline William.Ed727

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: What next after a MK5 GTI....
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2019, 01:31:18 pm »
I'm in a similar dilemma - I have a stage 1 ed30 which I've owned for 7.5 years but its done 107k now so my mind starts thinking how long before things start to go wrong with it.  still love it but always got to be one step ahead..
some of the things you guys are saying about ed30's are making me think to keep it though !
107k, that’s not even that bad, mines sat at 133k and drives like it’s done about 50k it’s all about looking after them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Leco_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 09:01:47 pm »
I set the bar high for me. Maybe way to high.

My next car will be a Ibis White 1st Gen Audi R8 V10. I even test drive 2 about 4 months ago.

My way of thinking is "you only live once" (depending on your religion) so why not treat myslef with something that will be very diffilcult to pay but on the other hand will not going to finacially destroy me. For me the 1st Gen R8 is the most beautiful "affordable" "supercar". It was love at first sight. I love the exotic intoxicating V10 noise. The car drive like's on rails. I was a bit disappointed after test driving the S-Tronic version as the car was too perfect compared to my 2005 DSG GTI (I know I shouldn't make such a comparuson). I enjoyed more driving the R-Tronic. It has it's quirks, the gear changes are not smooth so it has a bit of characther. But a 5k clucth change job every 15k-20k is something that I can't justify.

Anyway, I set the bar too high but hey, I believe I will only live once and I think with a bit of sacrifice I can afford a high montlhy payment. Time will tell but my plan is to buy the car in 2020. I believe the 1st Gen R8 reched the bottom of the depreciation and from 2020 will only go up in price so I must hurry up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 09:28:34 pm by Leco_GTI »

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 01:34:14 pm »
I've got a candy white 3 door ED35 that is going up for sale v soon - might be worth considering (CDL engine?).
Cheers
Nige

Offline corradovr6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 08:10:32 am »
rs3

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 09:31:32 am »
100% buy a mint low mileage Ed30, I had a standard MK5 gti and then bought an Ed30, I have had the Ed30 for 6 years now bearing in mind previously I used to change my car 5 -6 times a year for 12 years. The Ed30 is by far the greatest car I've ever owned, just wish the miles wouldn't keep going up on it:-)

Hope you find a suitable replacement!!

Max

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 12:51:57 pm »
Agree with that  :happy2:  Mine's getting long in the tooth now but the way it drives is just too entertaining to part with it.  I also couldn't have an expensive theft target sat outside either, so nothing Audi RS, BMW M or Merc AMG for me, as much as I like them.  Just not worth it. 

But that doesn't stop me from me putting a TTRS engine into the ED30 though  :smiley:  Modern grunt in an old, under the radar, less theft worthy body shell.  Win win.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline fast_eddie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 08:37:51 am »
I had a chunk of money to put into something to keep me happy for a while until my new project arrived. I looked at everything around the 10k mark for ages. I needed fast (ish) 5 doors, solid depreciation rate but, what I needed the most was something that's only just been mentioned by Pudding 'under the radar' low key image.
A 5 door ed30 in grey fitted my needs perfectly. I've owned it for 6 months now and can honestly say it's been the best car I've ever owned. Subtle mods see it really quick and OK, it would not see which way a megane or golf r went on a back road, but I love it.
Living in the suburbs of Bradford, it only occasionally attracts the wrong attention but mostly no one looks twice at it. Almost all the cars above were on my list but none of them made it past selection. As said, a megane would have been much quicker in the bends (but less practical and too short in the gears for me), the bmw's didn't cut it interior wise (for 10k) and everything else was too brash (turbo nutter 4x4 stuff) for a 50 year old petrol head.
Anyway, I've enjoyed reading this thread and thought I'd add in my pence. My ed30 is up for sale now as my new project has arrived. I'll stick it in the for sale section and I'll properly miss it. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk