Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf Mk 5 GTI - Purchase / MPG  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Tahir_patel1

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Golf Mk 5 GTI - Purchase / MPG
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:30:43 pm »
Hi All,

I'm i've been thinking of purchasing a Mk5 GTI for some time but just wanted to understand the fuel costs. My daily commute is a 40 mile round trip where 80% of that journey is on the motorway.  What sort of MPG am I to expect? I usually fill up a full tank weekly and get around 400 miles from my current car.

I have a budget of around 3-5k. Is there anything I should look out for in particular? I've read and heard that it's a pretty solid engine and providing it has been serviced regularly, they are bulletproof.

Thoughts would me much appreciated :)

Thanks

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Golf Mk 5 GTI - Purchase / MPG
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 12:28:36 pm »
Not even a bullet is bullet proof. Looked after decent oil serviced I had mine 56 plate 9 years [changed Xmas eve] Don't think I spent £500 on it other than tyres and brakes and servicing. Around town once warm got around the 30s on long motorways often saw 40 plus. Theres plenty of info here on weaknesses and mods

Offline kodirl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 08:00:04 pm »
I am on my second mk5 GTI , picked it up in August. Reliability wise they are ok. On my first one, I sold it 6 years ago with 80,000 miles on it . While I owned it , it needed a new thermostat and new instrument cluster as the key kept losing its signal with the immobilizer, and the immobilizer would become active. I had the keys replaced and recoded twice and the problem resurfaced. I eventually had to replace the instrument cluster at a cost of around 700 pounds.
My second mk5 I purchased in August with 6 previous owners and 114,000 miles on the clock with partial service history. When I got it the thermostat was faulty as it was heating to 70 degrees and not the usual 90, same problem as in the previous GTI. Other than that it has been pretty reliable with the 5000 miles I have put on it. I'm getting about 400 miles to a tank with mixed driving, 40 mile round trip to work with 80% motorway too. This was about the same in my last mk5 GTI and pretty much identical to the mk7 GTI PP I had too.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 10:58:27 pm »
I would probably say if mpg is your concern don't get a GTi.

A diesel sounds a better bet for you if you're mainly doing motorway miles

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 03:56:38 am »
I've been using the SpritMonitor app on my phone as the MPG readings on the VW can be a bit optimistic! Overall after 21,916 miles I was able to average out 27.98 MPG on my GTI with mixed driving in the cities and motorways. If I was driving in the city most of the time then I usually see 230-240 miles to a tank with a typical average of 24 MPG. If I was driving on the motorway and drove like a granny (60 MPH cruise following a lorry) then getting 400 miles is doable though I don't see it very much as it gets boring really fast to be honest! I get an average of 33-35 MPG on motorway only trips, 38.6 MPG was my absolute best when I was cruising to Continental Europe. I always fill up with Super Unleaded (97/99) too as the GTI prefers higher octane to the standard 95 RON unleaded, though I have used 100/102 RON when I was in Germany.

The app tells me that for every 100 miles I've done it costed me £20.06 for the privilege. In comparison my brother in law with his MK7 Golf 2.0 TDI 150PS was able to achieve the same distance at almost half the cost (£10.15). If this scares you then the MK5 GTI probably isn't the car for you, not to mention that additonal costs of having to use pricey Super Unleaded all the time and the £300 annual cost to tax. As shoaybmakda mentioned, a torquey diesel would be a better bet if MPG and running costs is your main concern without sacrificing too much on performance.

Offline Mrgreg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 10:33:57 am »
I bought a mk5 gti for a 100 mile a day commute, I’m getting about 33-35 mpg that’s with mostly dual carriage / motorway with a bit of a road. My car needs a new thermostat isn’t which I’m changing next week, I’m hoping my mpg improves a tiny bit after.

I previously had a 2.0 tdi which did get better mpg but was so boring as watching paint dry to drive.

I’d say go for it, you’ll enjoy your journey a lot more than in a diesel

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 11:32:33 pm »
400 miles per tank is VERY optimistic for a MK5 GTI.  I think you should look elsewhere if mpg is of utmost importance.  It's like people wanting to eat cream cakes every day and expecting to stay slim.....ain't gonna happen.

Maybe consider the MK7.5 GTI.  They're a lot better on fuel, but they're more Emlea than real cream to drive though.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline kodirl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 01:38:51 am »
400 miles per tank is VERY optimistic for a MK5 GTI.  I think you should look elsewhere if mpg is of utmost importance.  It's like people wanting to eat cream cakes every day and expecting to stay slim.....ain't gonna happen.

Maybe consider the MK7.5 GTI.  They're a lot better on fuel, but they're more Emlea than real cream to drive though.
I Have had two mk5 GTI's and have been getting 600km's per tank (400miles roughly) here in Ireland on both cars. Both mapped to stage one and mixed driving. VERY REALISTIC figures

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 02:12:04 am »
I get 330 miles to a tank at best, also stage 1.  You must drive slowly  :grin:

Offline kodirl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 02:14:17 am »
I get 330 miles to a tank at best, also stage 1.  You must drive slowly  :grin:
I'm the wrong side of 30 now so everything goes a bit slower these days

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 02:26:07 am »
Ha, I'm on the very wrong side of 40 mate, but still rocking the lead foot  :grin:

Mine is a K04 engine btw, so probably won't get the same mpg as a K03 engine.

That said, I've tried the whole 60mph thing on the motorway and can't get more than 35 out of it!

Offline Leco_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 05:28:22 am »
I did an experiment a few years ago on a very hot summer day when I had to drive 20 miles where 15 miles were a mix of motorway and dual carriage way with speed limits varying from 70mph to 40mph. For the 15 mile motorway and dual carriage way drive I managed to achieve 42.8 mpg driving 10mph slower than the speed limit. The aircon was off and all windows were closed. Would I do this again? NO.

Realistically what I usually get is about 32mpg driving at 70mph or 35mpg at 60mph in a cold day on the motoreay. City driving vary from 20mpg to 24 depending on how bad the traffic is as well as other variants as the journey itself, traffic lights, Toyota Prius, etc.

I personally don't think the MK5 GTI fuel consumption is bad compared to it's performance.

Offline E8RNX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 11:45:07 pm »
On the opposite side of many of the GTI members on here I return an average of 16-18MPG. There’s too many variables but with me it’s always short blasts, hardly drive long distance. Also I live in a really hilly area so roads are hardly flat, keep stopping and starting etc.

On motorway max I’ve achieved was about 37mpg ish.

Overall MPG is very bad but an amazing car for the price. As an idea when I drive on longer runs with constant driving I can easily achieve low 20’s too.

This all equates to city driving - approx 180 miles and under per tank.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:51:41 pm by E8RNX »
—MK5 Golf GTI DSG—

Offline Alynponty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 12:50:21 pm »
Had my gti now for just over 4 months , round town I'm averaging 25mpg and upto 35 on a run , I'm getting avg 300-320 miles to a tank

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Offline kodirl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2019, 12:54:54 pm »
Jesus, that's crazy. I must drive like a Granny I'm getting 400miles which equates to 33mpg average per tank. [400÷12.1gallons]