Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying Advice - For Those Who Went From Manual To DSG.  (Read 8193 times)

Offline .:GTI|SUNNY:.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
  • I spend too much time on this forum, I'm addicted
Buying Advice - For Those Who Went From Manual To DSG.
« on: March 01, 2010, 06:00:02 pm »
Hi all,

I need some advice as mentioned on the title,

I've always had a manual car as i prefer this option due to free range in gear changing.

My previous MK5 R32 was also manual and now i'm looking for a GTI, im thinking of DSG due to not finding the right spec of car i want in a manual version.

My manual version spec is:
Either Red or Black colour
Highline Computer
Folding Mirrors
Full Leather Seats
Xenons Lights

Now my question is for those who have DSG now and using the AUTO option and not the manual paddle shift or gearstick changing...
how you finding this over the manual gearbox?
do you prefer it?
What differences have you found in the two?
Would you recommend DSG over manual gearbox?

Also:
if using the paddle shift how does this work in changing gears as there is no clutch?

Sorry if this topic has been covered already, i couldnt find it.

Thanks for reading and hope to get some replies to help between the two.

Cheers

Sunny
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:10:30 pm by .:GTI|SUNNY:. »
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Buying Guide Advice - For Those Who Went From Manual To DSG.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:20:34 pm »

Now my question is for those who have DSG now and using the AUTO option and not the manual paddle shift or gearstick changing...
how you finding this over the manual gearbox?
do you prefer it?
What differences have you found in the two?
Would you recommend DSG over manual gearbox?

Also:
if using the paddle shift how does this work in changing gears as there is no clutch?

....What you are calling "AUTO" is D-mode (there's also S-mode). If you leave it in D your car will drive the same as an automatic except that the auto gearshift points are better thought out with DSG. S-mode (Sports) will only shift when the revs get towards the red zone.

However, you can manually and temporarily override D and S by selecting whichever gear you want.

M-mode on DSG is the same as a conventional Manual except that gearshifts are much faster and you don't use your left leg at all. You are able to think about gears in exactly the same way as a conventional manual - Simply shift when you want.

So, you actually have the best of both worlds: You can be enjoying yourself on a spirited drive using all the gears manually and then pop into D if you find yourself in a traffic queue or crawl for example.

You can mix it all up. After a thousand miles or so it will all become natural to you and very fluid and you'll probably never want a conventional manual again.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Buying Advice - For Those Who Went From Manual To DSG.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:35:59 pm »
What he said...

I love dsg, and struggle to think of a downside  :confused: I occasionally miss manual, so I use 'm', then after a few gear changes think 'why' and put it back in 'd'

Do it :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:39:38 pm »
After just covering 3 miles in 90 mins this evening, whatever car I buy next will be an auto!!! Hopefully dsg but we'll see

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:42:14 pm »
as robin says, its the best of both worlds. i much prefer DSG over any manual ive driven now. i tend to drive nearly always in manual on the DSG but knock it to drive sometimes in bad traffic  :happy2:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:00:29 pm »
Had proper auto boxed for the last 15 years.
Jags, Range Rovers, Porsches etc. I also drive various manuals still including wifes 207GTI.

The Golf DSG is completely different.
In D mode the car always feels like it's in a gear higher than it should be. Excellent fuel consumption even though it uses the turbo for the torgue. DSG changes down rapidly when needed.
In S mode the car feels like it is in a gear lower than it should be. If you are going for it great. You actually get engine breaking from an auto!!!

As mentioned you can always over ride the current gear.

No one has mentioned the DSG exhaust pop when it changes up. Just love the pop even better in S mode. 

Do I prefer DSG to Auto or Manual?

DSG IMO is the next generation for auto boxes. A huge improvement. It does take some weeks to get used to.
Yes it is still nice/great to get in a manual car and use the clutch and feel really in control.

Will my next car be DSG?

If it's the VAG group, yes. Never going back(wards) to an auto box.

Today's roads, don't think you would be dissapointed. Best of everything with DSG.

P.S. Hope RR reads this bit different from 4months ago when I first got the car. Robin did say I would grow to live it.
Gues you were right RR. 
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:09:18 pm »
Had proper auto boxed for the last 15 years.
Jags, Range Rovers, Porsches etc. I also drive various manuals still including wifes 207GTI.

The Golf DSG is completely different.
In D mode the car always feels like it's in a gear higher than it should be. Excellent fuel consumption even though it uses the turbo for the torgue. DSG changes down rapidly when needed.
In S mode the car feels like it is in a gear lower than it should be. If you are going for it great. You actually get engine breaking from an auto!!!

As mentioned you can always over ride the current gear.

No one has mentioned the DSG exhaust pop when it changes up. Just love the pop even better in S mode

Do I prefer DSG to Auto or Manual?

DSG IMO is the next generation for auto boxes. A huge improvement. It does take some weeks to get used to.
Yes it is still nice/great to get in a manual car and use the clutch and feel really in control.

Will my next car be DSG?

If it's the VAG group, yes. Never going back(wards) to an auto box.

Today's roads, don't think you would be dissapointed. Best of everything with DSG.

P.S. Hope RR reads this bit different from 4months ago when I first got the car. Robin did say I would grow to live it.
Gues you were right RR. 
Stick an aftermarket Milltek or Blueflame exhaust on that and its even better :happy2:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 09:16:48 pm »
^^^^ Funny, I also said four months ago that I wasn't interested in mods.

Just had to stop myself offering £££ for some springs. And can't wait until the exhaust starts blowing  :evilgrin:
 :signLOL:
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Saint Steve

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:18:53 pm »
^^^^ Funny, I also said four months ago that I wasn't interested in mods.

Just had to stop myself offering £££ for some springs. And can't wait until the exhaust starts blowing  :evilgrin:
 :signLOL:

Cast my mind back 1 year ago, and i was still standard after 2 years of resisting.

It will get you these forums.... eventually  :driver:

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • gone old skool
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:38:45 pm »
DSG rocks - it really does give you everything a manual does and more ... and as someone commented, in traffic its bloody great

Offline Smudgster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 09:49:18 pm »
Ive had it nearly a year now and it rocks. WWhen I change, if i dont get a VAG, i will miss the DSG, if I do get another VAG it would have to have DSG simple!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:17 pm »
As all above have said DSG's brilliant, there's only two problems.

First is the unfortunate tendancy for an auto like 'kick down' which can be removed by getting a DSG remap along with several other benefits.

The second is after so many years of driving manuals its still hard wired into the brain when pressing on to go for a gear change with the gear stick which could be potentially catastrophic pushing it through neutral into reverse. Also easily avoided though by using D for the lazy work commute and tiptronic  combined with the paddles for more enthusiastic driving.

As all the other guys have said it really is the best of both worlds and you'll wander why you ever thought of keeping to a manual box.

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 10:47:26 pm »

DSG has two electromechanically-controlled clutches, but no clutch pedal.

Ich liebe die direktschaltgetriebe; aber für Porsche ist es die porschedoppelkupplungsgetriebe. Entweder ist akzeptabel.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:27:51 pm »
You have to control the pedal more and the kick down doesnt cause a problem - or use M mode more.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 06:50:35 am »
Never tried it in the Golf. But on the drivers day in the Porsche it was demonstrated that pushing the DSG stick forwards into reverse does nothing at speed. All computer controlled.
Also used as a safety feature. Front passenger can put into n or p and apply handbrake to stop "if driver fall I'll at the wheel"
As I say don't fancy trying it just in case I bugger something up
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.