Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying Advice - For Those Who Went From Manual To DSG.  (Read 8101 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Buying Advice - For Those Who Went From Manual To DSG.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 12:15:13 pm »
Im on my second DSG car, first was a Leon sport 2.0TDI DSG which was great then went back to a manual focus for 2 years, and the main consideration when choosing which car to get was something with a DSG and a 2.0T petrol.  Once you live with one you wont ever look back.  The fuel consumption figures are better than a manual, and the 0-62 times are better as well.

Like someone said above once your used to driving with the box, and being smoothish with the throttle you can cut most of the kick down out, and the exhaust pop when the DSG changes makes the car seem that bit more special.  and the next time you smoke someone at the lights and they have a lull between shifts you will have the biggest smile on your face!   :jumping:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 01:43:38 pm »
I love the DSG features, even though I tend to use manual most of the time (even in town!). Drive mode is strictly for heavy traffic jams for me, but I wouldn't go back to an old fashioned manual again!
Golf R gone.

Offline .:GTI|SUNNY:.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
  • I spend too much time on this forum, I'm addicted
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »
Thank you all for the responses

it's been a good read to know how everyones experiences with DSG are over manual gearboxes. I think you all have won the choice for me over which to go for, i'm swaying alot more towards getting a DSG now :)......best thing to do is get down to VW and see if i can test drive a DSG GTI and see how i get on with it.

same as the response above, i'll be using the M mode daily and use the D mode in traffic :)

Thanks again everyone

Let the responses keep coming, would still like to see how others are getting on.

Sunny
| Tornado Red GTI |

Offline n13cah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 03:45:13 pm »
Can't fault the dsg.
Don't think i'd go back to manual again for a main car.

Only trouble i have is when driving a manual, you forget you have to change down and stall coming up to a junction.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 04:51:49 pm »
I used to find in the leon from time to time that in M the DSG could get horribly bogged down if I rolled up to lights, and before it got down to 2nd or 1st the lights went green. (didnt help that there were no paddles, and by the time I nugged the stick back all the other traffic had left me standing)

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 05:49:43 pm »

I used to find in the leon from time to time that in M the DSG could get horribly bogged down if I rolled up to lights, and before it got down to 2nd or 1st the lights went green. (didnt help that there were no paddles, and by the time I nugged the stick back all the other traffic had left me standing)

....Yes but you are being a bit lazy in your driving. You can easily get around the problem you describe simply by manually shifting down the gears so you are always in the optimum gear for acceleration.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 05:52:56 pm »
True RR, it was partly through being lazy and at the same time playing with the stereo, and the TDI not picking up in the same way the TFSI does, it used to lag until the turbo came on song, having an awkward flat spot if you were in the wrong gear.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 04:59:29 pm »
Even when i drive the car in manual when coming to a stop i dont change down. Especially from 2nd to 1st i cant see the point in that Robin.  :smiley:

Saint Steve

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 05:19:13 pm »

....Yes but you are being a bit lazy in your driving. You can easily get around the problem you describe simply by manually shifting down the gears so you are always in the optimum gear for acceleration.
yes Robin likes to "Attack" roundabouts in 1st gear  :scared: :scared: :signLOL: likes to show off his Quaife :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 06:00:03 pm »

Even when i drive the car in manual when coming to a stop i dont change down. Especially from 2nd to 1st i cant see the point in that Robin.  :smiley:

....No, you're right. I don't change down into 1st but I do manually change down to 2nd if it's the best gear.

yes Robin likes to "Attack" roundabouts in 1st gear  :scared: :scared: :signLOL: likes to show off his Quaife :wink:

....As every lady knows: If you've got it, flaunt it!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Saint Steve

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 06:07:24 pm »
^^ You been there recently Robin   :notworthy:

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 03:42:23 pm »
i had dsg in my A3 and didn't like it, i went back to good old manual. The DSG box was jerky and in the tdi would change gear at the redline even in manual, it cluncked from time to time too, having the fluid changed made no difference. The  few stories about dsg failures also gave me cause for concern. I may be tempted with another one, but this time petrol but at this moment in time its manual all the way.

Offline docker1996

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 11:22:39 pm »
 :happy2:DSG every time!

brianeide

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »
Hi... All...

My previous MK5 R32 was also manual and now i'm looking for a GTI, im thinking of DSG due to not finding the right spec of car i want in a manual version.
 I've always had a manual car as i prefer this option due to free range in gear changing.