Make a donation

Author Topic: June 08 mk5 GTI, canbus upgrade needed for RCD330 install?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Cohibastevie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
June 08 mk5 GTI, canbus upgrade needed for RCD330 install?
« on: December 24, 2019, 01:13:28 pm »
Hi guys, new to the forum and this is my first post. Been lurking a while and this place has helped massively.

My question is simple as I can’t find a concrete answer via search.

Are there any 08 mk5 gti users here that have fitted the RCD330 head unit to their vehicle with out a canbus upgrade and suffering no battery drain?

I’ve read that vehicles from 08 onwards are fine (mine is June 08) but then I am seeing some conflicting info elsewhere on the web.

Just hoping there is somebody with an 08 gti that has done this and can shed some light?

Many thanks in advance.

Stevie

Offline Lucky ducky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 3
Re: June 08 mk5 GTI, canbus upgrade needed for RCD330 install?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 09:44:23 pm »
Can only comment on mine it's a 2005 took a chance fitted it without doing the Cambus battery dead next morning... So used a guide on here using a fuse jumper... No battery drain

Sent from my xXx_NoLimits_9.4 on GM1913 using Tapatalk

Offline Cohibastevie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 12:58:36 pm »
Thanks, might explore that option, my fuse box appears to be the same but I appear to have a lot more fuses installed.

Gotta admit it’s a bit frustrating that given this is such a widely taken upgrade
On the vw community that there isn’t a simple list on any forum compiling What cars need the canbus upgrade vs which don’t.

Also those who seem to get it working without the canbus upgrade always seem to not mention their model and year.

But this is really useful thanks

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 02:03:35 pm »
Ive just fitted an RCD330 in my 57 (MY08) Edition 30. Cant comment on Battery Drain as yet as its only been in 24 hours but will keep an eye on it, however I was in the same boat as you and from all the research I did I established that no one after 2007 seemed to have a problem so I just took a punt. Ive since done a VCDS Scan and believe my Gateway is one of the first or second to eradicate the issue (L prefix, think K onwards are OK) so if you have access to VAG-Com you could always check first to try and put your mind at ease.

Rob