Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI Exhaust  (Read 2633 times)

Offline MoMo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
MK5 GTI Exhaust
« on: January 01, 2020, 02:34:05 am »
Hi guys,

I have just brought a MK5 GTI 07 in Candy White. DSG.

Trying to get a few bits and bobs together for a K04 conversion, however, I am not quite sure on a exhaust, quite a few people have suggested Milltek Exhaust Non Resonated but I am getting a few different opinions on it and people are suggesting BCS, is there much price difference and is it worth actually going for either or just get a custom one made?

Love to hear your opinions and ideas, thank you!

P.s, will be uploading more content with this project in due time! 😝

Offline St282

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
Re: MK5 GTI Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 03:08:01 am »
Hi guys,

Trying to get a few bits and bobs together for a K04 conversion, however, I am not quite sure on a exhaust, quite a few people have suggested Milltek Exhaust Non Resonated but I am getting a few different opinions on it and people are suggesting BCS, is there much price difference and is it worth actually going for either or just get a custom one made?

P.s, will be uploading more content with this project in due time!
I went the custom way, using 3” catless DP with 2.5” midpipes with Magnaflow. No regrets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:02:11 am »
The answer rather depends on your priorities eg would you value an extra 5bhp more than having something quieter and legal. Also the quality of the CAT will vary between suppliers in terms of both efficiency and life expectancy, with BCS using a top notch one. Trackslag offer some large diameter downpipes if you want to maximise flow.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 04:22:07 pm »
Hi guys,

I went the custom way, using 3” catless DP with 2.5” midpipes with Magnaflow. No regrets

Magnaflow and Borla are some of the best silencers I've ever used for tone, flow and (quiet) noise levels.   I think Borla and Supersprint are probably up there as the absolute best in my experience.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline St282

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 01:12:42 pm »
Hi guys,

Magnaflow and Borla are some of the best silencers I've ever used for tone, flow and (quiet) noise levels.   I think Borla and Supersprint are probably up there as the absolute best in my experience.
Agreed.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 05:12:04 pm »
Borla/magnaflow/Supersprint etc use a thicker wall pipe and thicker silencer casings than the norm, which reduces drone considerably  :happy2:

When my OEM exhaust finally lets go, I'll be importing a system from the USA.  Either a Techtonics Tuning dual Borla, or a Magnaflow  :smiley:

Offline St282

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 11:49:07 pm »
One of the best setups for our cars. Not obnoxiously loud with good deep tone. There aren’t many exhaust setups out there that creates those kinda tones.

Offline MoMo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 07:15:04 pm »
Thank you very much for your quick replies and honesty.

I will look into all of these, whilst we're on the topic, do any of you have any videos on how your exhausts sound so I can reach a confirmed decision and if you don't, would it be possible to either send me a video or share a link to how they sound. Sorry to be a pain lol.

Thanks again :D!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 03:52:48 pm »
I wish I did a video of the dual borla on my old Corrado VR6 Turbo.  That sounded lovely.  Videoing and social media wasn't a thing back then though, neither were smart phones  :grin:

Besides which, a video sound clip will never paint the full picture due to compression, and different speakers will alter the sound different as well.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 03:59:40 pm »

I will look into all of these, whilst we're on the topic, do any of you have any videos on how your exhausts sound so I can reach a confirmed decision and if you don't, would it be possible to either send me a video or share a link to how they sound. Sorry to be a pain lol.

try youtube

Offline MoMo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 01:43:42 am »

try youtube

Thanks Bobby, I did that not so long ago and I must say that I am really leaning towards the BCS WRC Exhaust. As the reviews are outstanding, normal driving and off boost the car sounds very OEM. However, the moment the foot is down and the boost is on, sounds very much as I want it.

Just need to give Nige a call early next week and see what kind of deal we can come to. Can't wait!

That will be another step towards the full K04 Stage 2+ movement  :jumping: