Make a donation

Author Topic: Rounded rear caliper bracket bolt - best way to remove?  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Rounded rear caliper bracket bolt - best way to remove?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 10:38:24 pm »
Having struggled with these myself I can say the best way I found was to get the car as high as possible, and use a stubby 14 spline bit and an extendable 3/8"  ratchet with a flexible head.

Offline Ytee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 10:34:04 am »
Yeh, that's what I'm going to do next time. Should be a lot easier with a flex-wrench.

Back to the ruined bolt a moment, does anyone think it's worth trying to get a file on it to create some corners, and then using a standard bolt extractor or some grips at that point?

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Stage 1 '07 Mk5 GTI

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 03:29:48 pm »
Cause its so difficult to get at H anave you thought about sacrificing old socket  a bit smaller  and hammering it over the bolt

Offline Ytee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 09:26:33 pm »
Cause its so difficult to get at H anave you thought about sacrificing old socket  a bit smaller  and hammering it over the bolt
I'm certainly happy to do that if it might work. Standard hex socket? The bolt itself is round, so it'll need to dig in.

I guess I'll need heat with anything where I'm hammering stuff into or over it, to soften the metal a bit. I'm gonna get myself a blowie :) If I can do that by Friday then I'll have a go at it then. No time to get under the car in the daylight until then. Winter sucks!

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Stage 1 '07 Mk5 GTI

Offline AliGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 12:10:25 am »
Another way around it and something to bare in mind for those who have trouble removing the caliper carrier or fancy attempting it but don’t want to come unstuck.. here’s a way...
you can loosen off the centre wheel bearing bolt, then at the same time wiggling the bearing and disc around a bit you’ll get the disc off off with the bearing. Put back on in reverse order how it comes off (wiggling together) believe it or not, it works and can save all the hag people get with the carrier bolts. I’d rather take the carrier off but when needs must.. this way works. Just make sure you put a new hub bolt back in with loctite :-)

I can also confirm this works. I've just had to replace the hub/bearing assembly on the driver side rear. I had the ABS ring issue. It's tricky but you can jimmy the disc off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk