Make a donation

Author Topic: Newbie in love with his GT TDI  (Read 799 times)

Offline SotonLad87

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Newbie in love with his GT TDI
« on: January 06, 2020, 01:27:43 pm »
Afternoon all!

Yesterday I found myself the perfect 55 plate 2.0L GT TDI - test drove it, inspected to best of my abilities (in the rain) and bought it! Had it 24 hours now and love it. Upon waking this morning, I moved the car to find a small puddle, I started it up fine and drove around for a few miles, parked it at a clear spot to inspect it. Placed a baking tray under the car, with paper on...and low and behold, there is a leak coming from the very front of the car, drivers side! It's a clear substance (coolant in tank is red) so I'm assuming just water...can anyone give any tips, advice or synopsis of why/where this is coming from? I have driven the car 55 miles home from where I bought it, drove it another 50 miles today, temp gauge stays dead in the middle and heats up at a normal pace, rather then just shoots up. Car starts first time everytime from cold start also.

I don't want to get overly attached to this beast, to find out its dying :(

Offline SotonLad87

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Newbie in love with his GT TDI
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 05:19:50 pm »
Update - no leakage at all for 3 hours. Would it be acceptable to assume it's from the AC unit, dirty or blocked filters maybe?

Offline Uncleben

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:00:56 am »
Welcome to the forum, glad you are enjoying your new golf, they are great cars!  The leak you describe, assuming its odourless is just condensation from the ac system, completely normal.

Offline SotonLad87

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 08:26:49 pm »
Evening

Just an update...the person I bought the car from must have known there was a leak, as the coolant system was filled with just water! FUMING!

New radiator, new tyres x 2, new rear brake discs and labour, and now I'm skint...£528!!!

Radiator they have used is EIS, a cheap brand, so when I have more time/money in a few months, I plan to update hoses, better radiator and better filters...question is...just how cheap and awful is the EIS brand of radiator?

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:10:35 pm by SotonLad87 »