Make a donation

Author Topic: K04 Low Down Torque  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Toasted

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: K04 Low Down Torque
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 10:55:57 pm »
@colesey: Thanks for the tip top info. I'd not really thought of the camber related mods, but having looked into them a wee bit, I feel they would be wise choice to improve the handling.
As for the brakes - cheers - always good to get a personal recommendation - they are on the shopping list :happy2:

Big thanks for your input, it's really appreciated.

Offline Toasted

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 11:28:32 pm »
@Pudding: Agree on the "pops and bangs" - it's become a 'thing'!! To me, less is more, plus when you're being a bit naughty, the less attention you attract, the better!
Really like the discreet burble of the standard exhaust, no real need for any more volume, although the tail pipe is in a bad state on mine and I am considering a back box for that reason alone, a small increase in volume is bearable but no more!

Viewed a K03 for with a friend this weekend and ended up looking at a ED30 too...One of the few times the description matches the car, it was as close to mint as you could get for 13 year old car, however it is going for top dollar...got me thinking though as it was well specced apart from a lack of xenons.
Unfortunately, arrived there too late to take it for a spin. Was a DSG, which is something I'm not 100% on.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 03:39:09 pm »
@Toasted  The standard exhaust sounds spot on to my ears.  I prefer a beefy bass at low rpm and silence everywhere else, which is pretty much what it does  :smiley:  I hate thin sounding, raspy and loud exhausts that sound like a big toad croaking down a drain pipe.  Yeah the tailpipes rot out on them but the rest of the system is still leak free after 13 years.  People complain about the price of OEM parts but you can't grumble at that lifespan!

Yeah the low mileage examples that are mint fetch big money now.  Bear in mind they all suffer the same issues (steering racks, snapped rear springs, rotten wings, subframe creak, timing chains, clogged oil pickups etc etc) you can safely go for a higher mileage one so long as the bodywork is good. I'd take a motorway muncher over a 15,000 mile one owner shop run car any day of the week  :happy2:  Xenons aren't all that.  I have them on mine and they wobble over bumps and aren't especially bright either.

Manuals are cheaper but the DSG is the better car imo, especially in slow moving traffic.  If you ever do go for tuning, the standard clutch can't cope with it so that's another expense and hassle, and the uprated clutches are heavy and nasty to use in heavy traffic. Really heavy ones pop slave and master cylinders as well, which is another PITA.  Not a great shift either (especially past 5000rpm), certainly nothing like as slick as a Honda Type R's!   DSG can handle anything you throw at it.  Really strong gearboxes  :happy2:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:40:44 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Toasted

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 10:27:10 pm »
@Pudding: I'd not thought of going to VW for a back box, but why the hell not! Agree with what you say - a little more bass at low rpm would be perfect but noise anywhere else is just annoying for a daily driver.
The mileage is a funny thing, I think it's a mental sticking point for me, but the more examples I see, the more I'm inclined to stay with mine.
As for DSG, I guess it's simply a case of dropping any preconceived perception and going for it. Think it does make sense for our continually clogging roads, plus the benefit of extra BHP without knee damage!
Can I pick your brains??? - Regarding the DSG - In Manual mode, do they remain a slave to the drivers inputs or do they 'know better' and change up automatically if you end up pushing it? If so, is it too intrusive, or a good thing? Just heard conflicting viewpoints relating to this, some also say in low speed traffic the Auto mode can be a pain - but I am open to a change, as I'm sure it's just a case of adaptation. Thanks again for your words :happy2:.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 09:17:33 am »
I have the dsg and in manual it's manual. You can go to the redline if you want, no interference from the box.

In traffic in auto mode mine is perfect, so smooth you hardly notice it change. My box gets serviced regularly though. Which is easy even to do yourself.

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 11:00:24 am »
Nice write up Toasted. I am the same as you, I have a couple of classic Porsches so do not need a weekend car and was very happy with my Volvo V50 T5 as a daily until I drove my customers mk5 gti and had to buy it :)

Offline Toasted

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2020, 01:25:13 am »
@bobby_fodge: Thanks for your input and clearing that up, the DSG is now an option and will not be ruled out - Cheers!

Offline Toasted

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2020, 01:40:43 am »
@OldGTI: Thanks!
Classic Porsches...Could I probe and ask what they might be??
Going back to the MK5 GTI - What a gem! I work away from home on a rotational basis - When I am away, I find myself really missing driving it.
I would say a good K03 and pretty much any ED30/Pirelli have got to be keepers, in a relatively short time I'm sure they will obtain modern classic status.

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2020, 10:30:19 am »
@OldGTI: Thanks!
Classic Porsches...Could I probe and ask what they might be??
Going back to the MK5 GTI - What a gem! I work away from home on a rotational basis - When I am away, I find myself really missing driving it.
I would say a good K03 and pretty much any ED30/Pirelli have got to be keepers, in a relatively short time I'm sure they will obtain modern classic status.

Yep so surprised by my little gti so much fun for so little money. I have always liked them as they were the car to have (along with the 205 gti) when you grew up on a South London estate and everyone seems to love them. I had bid on a few nearly new mk7s at the auctions but they make nearly dealer money there so kind of forgot about one until one of my customers asked me if I wanted his 65k mile car that he had from new he is a mad old record executive hippy type so I know the car has not been abused to I thought lets see if I can live with a hatchback.  I really should not have anything too special for the daily as it is a 60 mile round trip and to a muddy farm. I am not messing to much just did the cam belt etc and the following
Cam follower 06D109309R
Diverter valve  06F145710G
PCV 06F129101R
New cat back tuned to original sound
anti lift kit and a few new bushes
wheel refurb
Changed from red to yellow a3 dipstick to stop that bit of plastic falling into the sump (need to get my pick up cleaned ASAP)
I have also taken the inner arches off and cleaned and waxed under there I would recommend that as there cars are getting on.

My Porsches. I have a 968 and a 911 Speedster.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:32:03 am by OldGTI »

Offline Toasted

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 06:11:05 am »
@OldGTI Sounds like a good find and now a fun 60 mile commute!
I also got bogged down looking at MK7's thinking they would be that much better than the earlier models, but I was wrong!
I seriously can't remember the last time paying less money for something gave you such a feel good factor. Change in the pocket and a stupid grin, it's win win!!
Shamefully, I haven't yet attacked the common faults yet (PCV, DV, Cam Follower) but will do very soon. Out of curiosity - how did you find the handling after the anti lift kit was fitted? Also didn't know about the dipstick - is that a 'thing'??

Porsches:
968: Got to confess to knowing nothing about these, apart from an advancement of the 944. A very rare car over here which can only increase on its classic status.
911 Speedster - WOW! What a car! I loved the early 911 right through to the 993 but felt the 996, lost it's '911ness'. It all came back though (for me anyway) with the  997 and all good thereafter, with yours being pretty much the cream! F**king unreal that the MK5 GTI is mentioned in the same breath by a Speedster owner - Testament to the GTI indeed.
Going back to the Speedster - what a thing of beauty....I hope it's not a working farm???????????

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 09:54:17 pm »
The guy that did the work on my car told me the red dipsticks can crack at the top and the plastic can fall into the sump and block the oil intake. He checked mine and at the very top mine was cracked so he gave me a yellow one from an A3 so it maybe a thing but I am too new to the gti scene to speak with any knowledge.

As for the anti lift and subframe insert I cannot really comment on that much as I had only drove around 50 miles in the car before I got it all done, I just know the car drives well. I think you can find some product reviews on here that will help as they are written by people less clueless than me.

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:09 pm »
Oh the farm. It is a working arable farm but I'm no farmer I just rent a grain barn there for my business.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 09:45:06 pm »
@Pudding: I'd not thought of going to VW for a back box, but why the hell not! Agree with what you say - a little more bass at low rpm would be perfect but noise anywhere else is just annoying for a daily driver.
The mileage is a funny thing, I think it's a mental sticking point for me, but the more examples I see, the more I'm inclined to stay with mine.
As for DSG, I guess it's simply a case of dropping any preconceived perception and going for it. Think it does make sense for our continually clogging roads, plus the benefit of extra BHP without knee damage!
Can I pick your brains??? - Regarding the DSG - In Manual mode, do they remain a slave to the drivers inputs or do they 'know better' and change up automatically if you end up pushing it? If so, is it too intrusive, or a good thing? Just heard conflicting viewpoints relating to this, some also say in low speed traffic the Auto mode can be a pain - but I am open to a change, as I'm sure it's just a case of adaptation. Thanks again for your words :happy2:.

The last DSG MK5 I drove auto-upshifted in manual mode.  That can be deleted with a remap though. It is very intrusive when holding revs through a corner!  Changing gear mid bend is never good for vehicle balance!  I might have said already but the 6 speed DSG in the MK5 is a great gearbox, especially when remapped.  The 7 speed in the MK7 is bloody awful if you're a keen driver.  I think I would spec a manual if going for a MK7, but a MK5/6, DSG all day long  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Toasted

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2020, 03:07:27 am »
@OldGTI : Thanks for the info on the dipstick, it'll be added to the list .
Regarding the ALK - Thinking its a no brainer due to the positive comments.
The farm: Crop dust beats pig sh*t all day long :wink:
Thanks again and happy motoring  :happy2:

Offline Toasted

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2020, 03:16:52 am »
@Pudding : Ah! Thought there must be some truth to the upshift in Manual. Great to hear that it can be mapped out though!
I'm still keeping an eye out and the 'SemiAuto/Automatic' box is ticked now - thinking a DSG ED30 may just be the way to go...
Hmmmm........... colours........... !!!!!!!!

Thanks again for your input  :happy2: