Make a donation

Author Topic: Waste gate rattle resolved?  (Read 2786 times)

Offline ADAMKO3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Waste gate rattle resolved?
« on: January 23, 2020, 12:59:21 am »
Im having trouble finding the thread now ive joined the forum, so was hoping someone could help or direct me in the right way, but ive recently noticed ive got the dreaded ‘wastegate rattle’ on revs dropping around 1500rpm, seen some youtube videos on actuator rod clip? But has anyone tried or know any better? Ive tried the old screw driver to ear and its not the turbo, from underneath it sounds like the flexi but more related sounds on you tube indicate its ‘clip’ rattling.. any feedback would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Waste gate rattle resolved?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 08:02:22 am »
Recently fitted one to my wife's Octavia RS as it had a rattle on the overrun.  Having got under the car and got my hand up to the turbo, as soon as I got hold of the actuator rod and shook it I could replicate the noise to verify it was this.  Purchased the clip from TPS, fitted and rattle completely gone.  Fitting was straightforward but took a couple of attempts to align and get on (no tools required to fit clip but I did remove the driveshaft heat shield - 2 x 10mm bolts - to aid access).

Hope this helps.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 05:26:36 pm »
What year Octavia?  I though the rattle clip was only available for the early EA888 engines?  I've not seen a rattle clip for the K03/K04 on the EA113.  I could be wrong though!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ADAMKO3

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 04:26:44 am »
Recently fitted one to my wife's Octavia RS as it had a rattle on the overrun.  Having got under the car and got my hand up to the turbo, as soon as I got hold of the actuator rod and shook it I could replicate the noise to verify it was this.  Purchased the clip from TPS, fitted and rattle completely gone.  Fitting was straightforward but took a couple of attempts to align and get on (no tools required to fit clip but I did remove the driveshaft heat shield - 2 x 10mm bolts - to aid access).

Hope this helps.
Cheers bud, ive got a ramp and will get on it first thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mac456

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 10:36:44 pm »
I don't think the clips work on the mk5. If I remember correctly you may have to tighten the bolt ever so slightly which stops the rattle

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=d181mpraolkhous63g99fdjnh7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:42:59 pm »
What year Octavia?  I though the rattle clip was only available for the early EA888 engines?  I've not seen a rattle clip for the K03/K04 on the EA113.  I could be wrong though!

Correct... the TSI clip doesn't fit the ko3/4.

Mine still rattles. It went thought a period of well over a year without rattling but its back now. I counteract this by just driving everywhere at full throttle*..... it doesnt rattle then.

.* might be a lie

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 06:21:04 pm »
 :grin:

Mine isn't rattling at 139K, weirdly.  The DMF however sounds like it's just about ready to split in half though  :grin:

Bear in mind the actuator pivot and the hinge thingy on the wastegate valve itself can wear out and cause the rattle, which no amount of tensioner rod adjustment will fix.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D