Make a donation

Author Topic: Opinion on the quietest exhaust system?  (Read 2116 times)

Offline MGTI94

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Opinion on the quietest exhaust system?
« on: May 02, 2020, 04:45:40 pm »
Good afternoon all,

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but would just like to ask owners' opinions on aftermarket exhausts and their experience with them.

I've been considering getting an aftermarket exhaust kit since I bought the car (around 18 months ago) and, while there are a few items higher on the priority list, I'd like to arm myself with some knowledge.

This is the first performance car I've owned so it's a world away from what I'm used to, but even so, the standard exhaust just doesn't seem to sound threatening even when I'm hammering it. I don't have experience with fitting exhaust kits and I realise they can draw unwanted attention and even land you with fines (I think) if they're too loud. I also don't want it to sound ridiculous all the time, so ideally I'd like a system that sounds civilised enough at low speeds but has a more pleasing note when you open it up.

From what I've read, miltek systems are quite quiet and are considered among the best exhaust systems. I also figure I'd want a non-res and probably cat back, so I'd be looking at the £3-500 region or so (which has placed it fairly low on my priority list).

So I'd like to open the question to the floor to consider a good, civilised system that just sounds a little more aggressive at high speeds, but I don't want a stupidly loud system with loads of drone for no reason as I expect I'll tire quite quickly of that. Honestly, for the costs involved and for what I want, would an aftermarket exhaust even be worth it? If that could be answered too, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance  :happy2:
-M

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Opinion on the quietest exhaust system?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 05:46:08 pm »
If your after a quieter exhaust then i would go for resonated and not the non resonated as these are much louder.miltek would be my choice.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 06:33:17 pm »
Miltek owner here. Day to day it sounds stock, even on full angry is not's very loud. I find it a strangely quiet exhaust. Build quality is good but my inner chav would like it to be louder when pushing it. My car has a K&N panel filter and HPFP internals if that matters.

I've had a much faster car than the Golf previously so maybe I judge the noise it produces harshly.

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 12:11:06 am »
Try the BCS Prestige system ;-)
Cheers
Nige

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1OagkEH-m6/

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 05:01:26 am »
I've heard the Techtonics Tuning Dual Borla before but on a MK5. Only diff I noticed from my single Borla is the Dual tone is a bit deeper when on full throttle and a bit quieter at cruising speed. I've heard Milltek catbacks and they are quieter than systems w/Borla mufflers...that's for certain.

A mk6 w/Dual Borla;

My Single Borla...two vids with different driving in each;

&t=112s
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:19:56 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 07:35:25 am »
I should be taking delivery of my cat back Bcs Prestige in the next few days so hopefully it will be on by the end of the week.
I went for it as I don’t want to go much louder than stock, I just wanted to replace an ageing holed exhaust and get a more pleasing tone.

Offline MGTI94

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 09:53:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

I suppose what I'm after is not a yobbo exhaust that's just unreasonably loud and drones at low speed, but sounds a bit deeper when you get on the throttle - seems like the stock exhaust just doesn't really do it for me, seems a bit muffled. So fairly civilised (and a bit deeper) at low speeds, and throatier when you trash it.

And, my bad, I forgot resonated was louder!

@Powervalve Nige Thanks for the link - I've viewed powervalve before and honestly, I really don't have the cash for the system I want. i'm supposed to be saving for a house so it's a stretch for even a miltek. If it's worth me getting one, I'd say £500 is probably my limit.

@ROH ECHT Thank you for taking the time to share some videos. The car sounds lovely - not too loud at idle or low speeds and throatier at high speeds. I'm based in the UK, though.

I'll likely look at a miltek kit as they seem to be a good compromise at a nice tone without the yobbo low speed drone, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks all!

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 11:10:21 am »
Non resonated is louder isn’t it?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 11:14:07 am by chimp400 »

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 12:19:17 pm »
I'm not really a fan of loud exhausts either, I have a Milltek non resonated and it's definitely not too loud.

Offline Dannyboi#722

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
  • My Ride: GOLF GTI EDITION 30 TTE480 BHP 446 & 443FT*LB FORGED (Mapped by R-Tech)
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 01:01:18 am »
BCS exhausts from my experience is possibly one of the best systems if not the best on market prestige is an awesome bit kit. I’ve had two ed30s both of them have been running BCS full systems in my opinion I’d only use them.

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 04:59:26 pm »
I've owned my GTI since 2008 and have just got round to replacing the standard system by fitting a non-resonated (does away with the intermediate silencer) Milltek cat back system that I bought second hand last Summer - delay due to polishing it back up to as new then deciding to run the standard exhaust through another winter.

I did a lot of trawling of reviews and videos to help decide between a resonated and non-resonated system and with the knowledge that a turbo robs a lot of the natural exhaust note, took the plunge with the non-resonated version as like you I wanted a bit more sound without it being over the top for daily duties.

I fitted the system on the drive using ramps and a trolley jack to give some more clearance under the side of the car, and fitting was pleasingly straight forward as I renewed the clamps throughout with replacement Milltek ones.  The quality of the system for second hand money is excellent and the tailpipes fill the bumper cut out perfectly and look like it should have been like that from the factory.

Once it was on, and with some trepidation, I started the car and the exhaust was... almost totally stock sounding at start up/idle.  Driving delivers no intrusive noise on part throttle or when cruising at motorway speeds and there is only a bit more bite with a deeper note when pressing on.  Absolutely perfect for keeping the peace with neighbours and the family on journeys.  Therefore I don't think you wouldn't be disappointed with the non-resonated Milltek - particularly I you can find one second hand...

For comparison, I also have experience of two other cars with Milltek systems fitted (both naturally aspirated) as follows.

I offered up my Dad's Mk5 R32 to be used as the Milltek development car when they re-engineered the R32 system a few years back and that has plenty more sound due to the absence of a turbo, even with the resonated system in place.  In DSG sport mode it sounds like a much more expensive sports car approaching, something like an Aston Martin, and you can hear the exhaust inside the car when cruising as well as pressing on.  He loves it (oldest boy-racer in the area!) but I definitely wouldn't have wanted the non-resonated version on that as a naturally aspirated car (Milltek gave us the choice).

My brother has a Mk4 V6 Motion which I fitted a second hand non-resonated Milltek to last year, and whilst quieter than my Dad's car, certainly has more bite with the system fitted and sounds great - he loves his too.  Again, even as an 'older' design, the quality is fantastic and it came up great with a polish in the garage before fitting.

As you can see from the other replies, there are many other options to choose from and whilst I can't comment on any of them from previous experience, hopefully my experiences with Milltek will help.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!