Make a donation

Author Topic: Rust around rear badge  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Kee1994

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Rust around rear badge
« on: March 03, 2020, 02:16:48 pm »
Hi guys my car has rust around the rear badge anyone else had theres repaired before ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Rust around rear badge
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 05:53:12 pm »
It's a common issue on mk5's unfortunately.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 07:40:03 pm »
It's was nigh on impossible to get this resolved under the 12 years warranty. VW would say it was mechanical damage from opening the lock or jewellery or holding keys in your hand while open the boot, rather than the real cause, which was water sitting in the opening and getting in behind the paint where the folded metal edge is.

I ended up getting a good 2nd hand one in the right colour and swapping it over, but yours doesn't look half as bad as mine was, so may be better value getting yours repaired. On the Mk6, they put a drain tube in I believe; to get rid of the excess water that causes this. The rust is most common at the 5-7 clock position (the lower half) where the water sits. This was the most annoying thing about my car, as it's clearly visible to people behind you in traffic and looks like your car is falling apart  :wink:

Once resolved, get some Waxoyl in there.

Good luck

Stu
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Kee1994

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:01:29 pm »
It's was nigh on impossible to get this resolved under the 12 years warranty. VW would say it was mechanical damage from opening the lock or jewellery or holding keys in your hand while open the boot, rather than the real cause, which was water sitting in the opening and getting in behind the paint where the folded metal edge is.

I ended up getting a good 2nd hand one in the right colour and swapping it over, but yours doesn't look half as bad as mine was, so may be better value getting yours repaired. On the Mk6, they put a drain tube in I believe; to get rid of the excess water that causes this. The rust is most common at the 5-7 clock position (the lower half) where the water sits. This was the most annoying thing about my car, as it's clearly visible to people behind you in traffic and looks like your car is falling apart  :wink:

Once resolved, get some Waxoyl in there.

Good luck

Stu
So annoying. It's the only thing that makes it look like abit of a shed lol I I treated my sill that had a abit of rust when I changed my wing but dont really wanna do the boot myself where it's really visible. How hard is it to swap a boot lid over ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 06:50:32 am »
It wasn't that easy. took me around 4 hours doing it slow and steady. The bootlid I put on didn't have the secondary radio arial either, so had to swap additional wiring. I managed it on my own, but would have been easier with 2 people.

As far as repairing goes, once the lock mechanism is out, it's a lot easier to see the damage and to make a good repair. The whole panel below the glass will need painting to make a good job, but it may never be "as good as new". Bear in mind re-attaching "chrome" decals, whatever option you go for. I purchased new genuine ones, just to make a proper job of it.

Cheers

Stu
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 03:44:55 pm »
As Stu says you can get it repaired, but if your like me and looking to get the car back to pristine condition, why not look for a good clean 2nd hand tailgate as there are loads available. Fortunately mine was unmarked by it one and only previous owner :-)