Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension choices  (Read 4345 times)

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Suspension choices
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 08:03:30 am »
Did you upgrade your top mounts or just go standard?
I’d rather look more toward comfort than outright handling or is the difference negligible?

Offline Alynponty

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 07:21:21 am »
The H&R Cup kit is always a popular choice and worth considering.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Hi mate , how do you rate the ap suspension spring and shock kit , looking to lower a smaller amount like 20-30mm, dont want a harsh ride as it's my daily and quite often car is full with the kids and the wife so rubbing could become an issue if I go too low hence why I've been trying to find out a bit more about this kit, seems great value at 328 , would I retain the ride quality I have now, I dont mind a little firmer but not crash.  cheers, alyn

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 11:32:56 am »
Did you upgrade your top mounts or just go standard?
I’d rather look more toward comfort than outright handling or is the difference negligible?

Get the TTRS top mount kit from AKS.  You don't want to fit OEM GTI ones with stiffer springs/dampers.  They creak and groan over speed humps etc.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 11:36:37 am »
My Pirelli edition is definitely getting a bit tired on the suspension front.  I'm considering an upgrade this year.

Tbh the OEM+ idea of the racing line kit is tempting.  Full coilovers probably being over budget and over kill for what I want

Can anyone give me an idea on how much this kind of mod affects insurance? It's on my mind at the minute because an sp30 has just increased my premium by 25%!!

Confused.com now includes modifications.  I ticked "Chipped 10-25%", "Uprated brakes", "Suspension lowered 10-25mm" and the amount of big name insurers that would cover it surprised me, and at decent prices.  For example, £281 from LV.   Not bad at all for a remapped ED30 on coilovers and Clubsport S front brakes.

5 years ago the big names wouldn't touch mods with a barge pole and you had to ring the niche brokers like Flux, Greenlight, Brentacre etc to get a quote, which is tedious and repetitive. But mods are so common place nowadays, they had to grab some of that market.  Even dealer and factory lowering and additional power options caused some insurance headaches, but not anymore  :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:38:48 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 01:17:55 pm »
My Pirelli edition is definitely getting a bit tired on the suspension front.  I'm considering an upgrade this year.

Tbh the OEM+ idea of the racing line kit is tempting.  Full coilovers probably being over budget and over kill for what I want

Can anyone give me an idea on how much this kind of mod affects insurance? It's on my mind at the minute because an sp30 has just increased my premium by 25%!!

Confused.com now includes modifications.  I ticked "Chipped 10-25%", "Uprated brakes", "Suspension lowered 10-25mm" and the amount of big name insurers that would cover it surprised me, and at decent prices.  For example, £281 from LV.   Not bad at all for a remapped ED30 on coilovers and Clubsport S front brakes.

5 years ago the big names wouldn't touch mods with a barge pole and you had to ring the niche brokers like Flux, Greenlight, Brentacre etc to get a quote, which is tedious and repetitive. But mods are so common place nowadays, they had to grab some of that market.  Even dealer and factory lowering and additional power options caused some insurance headaches, but not anymore  :happy2:

Good to know! Im jealous of your insurance price though! I'm 32 with 10 years NCB and a standard Pirelli Edition - 3 points for an SP30 and the best price I can get is £530! :(

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 07:51:59 am »
So I decided to go with the vw racingline kit and am very impressed so far.
Stance is perfect, not too low and ride quality although still firm feels a lot more compliant than standard.
The Eibach sportlines on standard dampers were too crashy for my liking, and sat a little too low even if it did look good.
I upgraded the front top mounts and replaced the rear top mounts and spring rubbers to do a thorough job.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 10:45:25 am »
Glad you like the recommendation Chimp!

Offline Damian @ DPM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
  • DPM Performance
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 03:51:15 pm »
The H&R Cup kit is always a popular choice and worth considering.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Hi mate , how do you rate the ap suspension spring and shock kit , looking to lower a smaller amount like 20-30mm, dont want a harsh ride as it's my daily and quite often car is full with the kids and the wife so rubbing could become an issue if I go too low hence why I've been trying to find out a bit more about this kit, seems great value at 328 , would I retain the ride quality I have now, I dont mind a little firmer but not crash.  cheers, alyn

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

They're made by KW in Germany so good quality kit for the money.

Damian @ DPM Performance
Advertising removed... (for the time being)