Make a donation

Author Topic: New GTI...What next?  (Read 958 times)

Offline njr911

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
New GTI...What next?
« on: March 09, 2020, 03:18:32 pm »
Hi

I picked up a very nice 2006 GTI yesterday, this is to replace my Octavia VRS245 that has reached the end of it's lease. First drive in the Golf was 300 miles up the M1  :driver:

So what do I do with it now, the previous owner has given me the piping for a Ed30 turbo (but not the turbo) it would be rude not to surely?! It already has the Ed30 rear bumper.

I'm putting a private plate on it so the current one needs to go on retention its GG06 VWG if anyone can make use of it?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: New GTI...What next?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 08:24:46 pm »
So, what are you wanting to do? Utilize the ED30 piping? And "Piping" meaning what exactly?

Are you wanting more power? If so, research the power of a tuned MK5 GTI and that of a K04 swap in a GTI. Decide on that and then we can help. A highly tuned K04 swap will require the hpfp internal upgrade and results in replacing the cam follower very often, a K04 turbo, either the S3 or RS4 injectors(depends on which your tuner you decide on prefers), the tuner usually requires an intake and down-pipe, and usually an FMIC upgrade is optional per tuners. All of this and the tuning. Then you may find it would fare better with upgraded brakes and suspension.

Otherwise, you could just tune the oem K03. You could do so with just an intake(not needed really) and a downpipe. You can take it a step further and do the hpfp internal upgrade and again deal with frequent cam follower changes. Then tune it accordingly...K04 tuned or K03 tune for the hpfp upgrade.

But yeah, decide on the power you want and how far you are willing to go.

If you are new to the MK5 GTI with FSI engine and aren't familiar with its flaws;
first thing to do is remove the hpfp and inspect the cam follower and tri-lobe of the intake cam. Test for leaks in the pcv and its tubing. Have the error codes read and look at its real time data for boost and fueling. Also, have a look at its fuel trim data. Place a request for help on this forum stating you need help from anyone nearby with VCDS that would be willing to help you with all of this. Or; purchase VAG-COM cable, download VCDS for free, and learn how to look at data yourself. This is my advice for one who wants to learn to self diagnose issues and understand when looking at its data. Good luck.  :happy2:

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 08:28:13 pm »
Here's one place to begin with the K04 research; http://r-techperformance.co.uk/axx-bwa-tfsi-k04-turbo-conversion/

R-Tech requires a 3 bar MAP sensor, other tuners allow the use of the oem 2.5 bar MAP sensor.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline njr911

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 11:25:31 am »
So, what are you wanting to do? Utilize the ED30 piping? And "Piping" meaning what exactly?

Are you wanting more power? If so, research the power of a tuned MK5 GTI and that of a K04 swap in a GTI. Decide on that and then we can help. A highly tuned K04 swap will require the hpfp internal upgrade and results in replacing the cam follower very often, a K04 turbo, either the S3 or RS4 injectors(depends on which your tuner you decide on prefers), the tuner usually requires an intake and down-pipe, and usually an FMIC upgrade is optional per tuners. All of this and the tuning. Then you may find it would fare better with upgraded brakes and suspension.

Otherwise, you could just tune the oem K03. You could do so with just an intake(not needed really) and a downpipe. You can take it a step further and do the hpfp internal upgrade and again deal with frequent cam follower changes. Then tune it accordingly...K04 tuned or K03 tune for the hpfp upgrade.

But yeah, decide on the power you want and how far you are willing to go.

If you are new to the MK5 GTI with FSI engine and aren't familiar with its flaws;
first thing to do is remove the hpfp and inspect the cam follower and tri-lobe of the intake cam. Test for leaks in the pcv and its tubing. Have the error codes read and look at its real time data for boost and fueling. Also, have a look at its fuel trim data. Place a request for help on this forum stating you need help from anyone nearby with VCDS that would be willing to help you with all of this. Or; purchase VAG-COM cable, download VCDS for free, and learn how to look at data yourself. This is my advice for one who wants to learn to self diagnose issues and understand when looking at its data. Good luck.  :happy2:

Thanks, that's really useful!

The car is sorn'ed until MOT next week but I'll be having a good look over it at the weekend.

There are two pipes, a black one and an red and alu one, both 1.5" diameter ish, though not had a check of them yet.

There's also a cable in the glove box that i'm hoping is a VAG COM cable but will find out.

Brakes have been done - S3 calipers and braided hoses - and are excellent, miles better than my current Octy VRS245. Suspension has had the springs replaced last eyar but still standard.

Offline njr911

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 01:50:43 pm »
Oh and is there anyone near Leeds/Harrogate with the knowldge and time to help me check that little list...beer vouchers available  :drinking: