Make a donation

Author Topic: Cam Follower Change & Fault Codes P0087, P310B & P0100  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Dre

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Cam Follower Change & Fault Codes P0087, P310B & P0100
« on: March 16, 2020, 09:12:00 pm »
So I changed my cam follower last Saturday and have done around 180 miles since it was changed without any issues but on the way home from work today I had the engine management light come on. I've had a mate scan the car for fault codes and the following codes come up:
1. P0087
2. P310B
3. P0100

I've looked up the codes on rosstech. It can't be the cam follower as it was only changed 2 days ago for a new one. The previous follower had only the coating come off. The cam lobe seemed fine with some superficial scratching on it.

Anyone had this issue following the cam follower being changed?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Cam Follower Change & Fault Codes P0087, P310B & P0100
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 01:41:33 am »
It is highly likely the P0100 is related to damaged wiring in the MAF loom. Search that and you'll see more on this.

True, not likely the new cam follower is at fault for the P0087 and P0310B codes. It is more likely to be the intake cam's tri-lobe is worn at its peaks...or the pressure regulator-N276 on top of the HPFP has failed or been damaged/cracked. It is slightly possible the pressure regulator codes are due to pressure made on the low side from a weak LPFP or clogged or incorrect filter. Another slight possible reason may be the high pressure sensor-G410 itself has failed...it is mounted on the fuel rail.

How you go about this will be up to you to decide. The MAF codes appear after the fueling codes, so I do not believe the fuel codes are resultant to the poor MAF signal. I personally would inspect the pressure regulator-N276 for damage/crack and the intake cam's tri-lobe for wear. Then, you need to sort out the G410 pressure sensor on the rail. Either have it tested or simply replace it. If nothing turns up...then look to the low pressure system, but this is not likely to be the cause as the low pressure sensor isn't detection an inefficiency.

Inspect the MAF wiring for damage...will need to remove the protective tubing for this. 

Post your progress.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Dre

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Cam Follower Change & Fault Codes P0087, P310B & P0100
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:53:36 pm »
Well I had a look again at the cam follower and the cam lobe. Everything looked fine. No issues with the new cam follower and no visible wear on the cam lobe.

I had a look at the sensor on top of the HPFP and it didnt look like there was any damage.

The only thing I found wrong was the wiring to the MAF sensor. This appears to have been bitten by a rodent! Is it likely that the damage to the MAF wiring is causing the fault codes?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk