Make a donation

Author Topic: AC woes again - PLEASE HELP A SUICIDAL MAN :-(  (Read 5528 times)

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
Re: AC woes again - PLEASE HELP A SUICIDAL MAN :-(
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 12:01:38 pm »
Hmmmmm I thought there was a relay?? On the bottom of the fan unit that fails but cannot remember if that’s for air con models or climate control models

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 01:10:07 pm »
I tried a new fan pack and had exact same problem. Start car, AC set to LO - neither fan kicks in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2020, 02:14:20 pm »
Hi guys
So the issue is as it was originally. Start car, set to Lo, no cold AC untill car has been driven for 10 mins. Then freezing cold AC
Tested and tested and tested and same results every time, Even when car is at running temperature, if it’s turned off, fans stop, turn back on and it takes 10 mins for AC to start blowing. I’ve got the new Sanden Compressor but just waiting for my pal to return to work on 6/7 as he’s gonna fit it as apart from that all other parts have been renewed

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 09:34:06 pm »
Mine seems similar in that I don't start getting cold air until I've driven a mile or two, maybe it's a quirk or the car rather than a fault as I'm sure mine has had a new compressor in the past by the looks of it.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 07:32:03 am »
Pretty sure it’s not a quirk as I know others on here that have commented and said that a should blow cold almost immediately once it’s turned on and also in Lo setting

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2020, 03:39:29 pm »
Hi chaps,
Well to add to this i have just discovered something. Did an oil and filter change earlier and post completion fired up the car and left it running for around 15 mins. Then went out for a 5 mile test drive. AC came on sooner, as car had been running previously. Got home checked oil level, and left the car for around 2 hours. Then needed to pop out, so started car up, AC on Low...No fans working, AC luke warm. However i then noticed that as soon as the temp gauge hit 90 degrees the AC kicked in. First time i have actually noticed this, hence what on earth could be causing the Fans not to Kick in and AC not to blow cold until the temps are up to 90 degrees? I'm going check it again later, but think i have now narrowed this down, but just need to find the link to the issue????

Cheers
Louie

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 01:00:56 pm »
Still battling with this mate?

Just to confirm the above observations, if I start my car and flick the AC onto auto and LO, the fans come on and there's cold air within a minute or two.

You can really feel the load on the engine and the idle speed is higher.  Car feels a little more sluggish than usual to pull away from the lights.  If you can't feel this resistance, the compressor isn't running.

What fan speed are you using on the HVAC control?  When I dial it right down to LO, it automatically shuts off the air direction toggles and runs the (internal) fans at full blast.

Interesting about the 90 degree coolant observation.  There is a close relationship with the engine and HVAC controllers, and also internal/external temp sensors, which sorts out the idling speed and load sensing stuff out.  I believe there are a couple of cabin temp sensors built into, or near the air vents.  Maybe something along those lines to look into. Perhaps check the measuring blocks in VCDS to see what it thinks the internal temp is vs outside?

Probably already asked you this previously, but are there any fault codes in the HVAC or engine controllers?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 01:06:10 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 05:00:42 pm »
Still battling with this mate?

Just to confirm the above observations, if I start my car and flick the AC onto auto and LO, the fans come on and there's cold air within a minute or two.

You can really feel the load on the engine and the idle speed is higher.  Car feels a little more sluggish than usual to pull away from the lights.  If you can't feel this resistance, the compressor isn't running.

What fan speed are you using on the HVAC control?  When I dial it right down to LO, it automatically shuts off the air direction toggles and runs the (internal) fans at full blast.

Interesting about the 90 degree coolant observation.  There is a close relationship with the engine and HVAC controllers, and also internal/external temp sensors, which sorts out the idling speed and load sensing stuff out.  I believe there are a couple of cabin temp sensors built into, or near the air vents.  Maybe something along those lines to look into. Perhaps check the measuring blocks in VCDS to see what it thinks the internal temp is vs outside?

Probably already asked you this previously, but are there any fault codes in the HVAC or engine controllers?

Hey Kev
Well you'll be pleased to know that i have FINALLY SORTED THIS ISSUE :jumpmove: :congrats: :jumpmove:. Finally got around to taking the car to my son's pal for MOT (was due in May but we had 6 months grace due to lockdown) and also got him to fit the brand new Sanden Compressor i got for only £90. Guy had fitted it and was on car for 2 days before he got rear ended and the car was written off :sad1:
The tech said it took an age to suck out the refrigerant, but apart from that all went well. I now turn on the car and within 30 seconds freezing cold AC. Could have done with this earlier in the summer, but at least now i wont get the cocking windows steaming up when its raining!!!!
I did think all along the compressor was at fault as it was so intermittent, plus had changed all sensors as well as a new condenser radiator when it was at R-Tecj last year having the KO4 conv done. So i'm a happy chappy, and food for thought for others that are having the same issues as i know a few have posted on here. Thanks for all ya help mate!!!

Cheers
Louie

Offline mikilil

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2021, 12:57:27 pm »
To be honest, there is always some problem with these air conditioners, they always break down or fail. And the most important thing is that it is always very difficult to fix them.

Offline mikilil

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2021, 12:57:59 pm »
To be honest, there is always some problem with these air conditioners, they always break down or fail. And the most important thing is that it is always very difficult to fix them.

Offline Arthur1

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2021, 05:27:55 pm »
Hi friend. A really unusual situation. I noticed that recently a lot of air conditioners are breaking down, even new models can work for a little more than a year and break down. I had a slightly different case, I was driving home from the office, with the air conditioner on, everything was fine. In the morning I was going to go on a visit to a neighboring city. I turn on the air conditioner, but unfortunately its air was too weak. When I arrived in the city, I turned to a local service, but the price for their services was very high. A friend to whom I went to visit advised me one site and said that there is a cheap aircon overhaul service. It's good that I have such a friend who can tell me what to do in case of unpleasant situations.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 11:18:30 am by Arthur1 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2021, 11:48:51 pm »
Indeed.  If A/C is of little value to you (arguably the case in the UK) then if it fails, bin it off  :grin:  A shorter serpentine belt exists to delete the A/C compressor.  Junk that and the condenser, you shed some weight and the intercooler gets more unobstructed airflow  :happy2:

It's a pretty lame system even when fully working.  On the odd occasion we get 27-30 degree days in the UK, it takes a good 10-15 mins to chill the cabin down very noticeably, running at full pelt.  I haven't tried the A/C in MK7 & newer Golfs, but it was always crap in MK3 - MK6.   The A/C in my mother in law's Mercedes C class, by comparison, is literally too cold after 5 minutes.  Even Ford do a far superior A/C on their hum drum Focuses and Mondeos!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D