Make a donation

Author Topic: Rattling When Revving.....Help  (Read 1953 times)

Offline HMYGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Rattling When Revving.....Help
« on: March 28, 2020, 05:00:35 pm »
New to the forum but have owned 5 MK5 GTI's. My most recent was parked up around a month ago when I started it again it appears to have developed a bit of a misfire. I changed the Coilpacks and Plugs since it was due anyways its certainly better but still seems to be a tad rough on idle. 

The Big problem now seems to be when you Rev it there is a vibration/rattling noise when you let off  :indifferent:
Initially I thought it could have been the airbox so I did remove it but its still the same. My other thought was the Cam chain but it was done about 10K ago so i'm now at a loss.  Any help would be much appreciated.

&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:35:39 pm by HMYGTI »

Offline RedSwede

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Rattling When Revving.....Help
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 11:58:50 am »
It says the Youtube link is invalid.

But if it is more of a buzzy-rattle, that sounds like something "light" rather than a heavy knock, it could well be the heat shield down the back of the engine, between the manifold/exhaust and the firewall. I seem to remember that something runs very close to that - and caused a buzz/vibration on over-run on mine, just as you describe.

It's really soft/flexible, so just bend it out the way a few mm from anything that it could be rattling against. This was years ago and it never reoccurred, so don't remember the details very well. Just put your hand/arm down there and have a tap around.

If it's a heavy knock, then the prognosis might be worse..!

Offline HMYGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:42:39 pm »
Hi Redswede, sorry the video didn't work I have updated the post with a link. I did think it could be some kind of heat shield but it definitely has a chain something loose knock/noise, its fine on lower revs its only when it gets a hard rev that it appears part of me did think it could be something oil pressure related perhaps with the cam chain tensioner but it seems to coming from the timing belt side.

Offline RedSwede

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 04:36:53 pm »
Watched the fixed YT link.

Doesn't sound "serious" to me - could be that heatshield issue for sure. Could also be a rattly catalytic converter. Can you hear it driving along when decelerating? I think it is probably a case of going around and tapping/prodding.

(Those type of noises are really annoying. Sometimes not easy to diagnose, and makes your car sound old and knackered going down the street!)