Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake Fluid  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Brake Fluid
« on: April 07, 2020, 10:29:11 pm »
Putting together all the bits for a mate to fit the new front calipers for me.

I'd like all the brake fluid changed and abs purged if he can do that with the gizzmo he's got, it's not vcds I know but can't remember what type he's got...if he can't then I'll book in to the stealers.

So how much fluid would I need for fitting and bleeding the front calipers or for complete system flush?
I know it's genuine in the car at the mo, would it matter if I used a different dot 4 for either option and if so what make is ok?

Thanks again

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Brake Fluid
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 06:16:27 am »
I had a 1L can of VW DOT 4...and I ran out doing just the fronts. But I do have Porsche 993 4-pot calipers. I was flushing out some ATE Blue fluid and it took quite a bit to flush it as it turned from blue to green and until I was seeing the pale yellow of the new fluid.

Again, mine are a bit larger than stock...I would probably suggest 1.5L for the whole system, but you may end up with a spare 0.5L. Maybe more if using the same color fluid because you may believe you are into the new fluid sooner than what you might see when fluid is a different color.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:19:34 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 09:13:33 am »
i got 3 bottles of RBF600 (500ml bottles)

did just over 1L bleeding and flushing, probs about 1.2L and that was all 4 brakes with new discs and pads

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 08:13:12 pm »
Cheers guys.
I guess purging the abs will use more than just a normal bleed.
Is it just vcds that can do the abs thing or can other diagnostic systems do that part as well?

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:18:05 pm »
Cheers guys.
I guess purging the abs will use more than just a normal bleed.
Is it just vcds that can do the abs thing or can other diagnostic systems do that part as well?
Other “good” diagnostic tools can purge the ABS too, you don’t need vcds for that :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 08:44:55 pm »
 :happy2: