Make a donation

Author Topic: Marok's United Grey MKK5 GTI  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Marok

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Marok's United Grey MKK5 GTI
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:49:13 pm »
Hi guys,

I have been trawling through nearly all of the first 6 pages of 'Members rides' over the last month or two picking up cool ideas for my 'new' GTI that I picked up last month.

All the known issues and cool little individual touches you can leave on these cars to make them your own, I came from a 17' BMW M240i that was running 470bhp but as I need to reduce outgoings and fuel costs due to saving for a first house I wanted to get something still fairly fast and good looking, the MK5 ticked all the boxes and still looks remarkably good considering its age!

Any way onto the photos as I know thats what all the great threads start with (image heavy is good)
First photo of the car when I collected it looking rather stock, standard photo when filling up  :wink:

Then within the first week I wanted to get all the preventative/essential maintenance out of the way, all genuine parts from TPS
Cambelt, waterpump, cam chain, cam chain tensioner, cam follower (keep you eyes peeled for the horrific scenes you are about to witness), oil pick up pipe, and all the various o rings, gaskets and parts I would require.

Also got an inline thermostat and Main Stat but didn't have the time to fit them so they will be done as soon as this whole Covid-19 palaver is over with (hopefully)

The first day we cracked on with the bottom end replacing the oil pick up and cleaning out the sump, and all the shenanigans that go with that, we also carried out the 'poor mans balance shaft delete'.

(didn't grab any photos of that) but it all looked okay apart from a couple of shards of suspicious metal filings found in the bottom of the sump and then a further few more hidden in the pick up pipe......yeah you can guess where this was going.

So the next thing we checked was the cam follower as these are just the most genius things that vw didn't put on the service plans even though they know full well that they deteriorate at light speed. The car was on 82,000 miles when I got it and we suspected it was never changed so we braced ourselves...........this is what we found  :sick:

Yep, is that not the worse thing you've ever seen in your life (car related), gutted was an understatement considering this car had FVWSH 3 owners from new and was never modified.

We then took a peak at the intake cam hoping for the best, but that was beyond fudged was practically circular (no wonder it felt like it was dying off in the higher RPMS  :sad1: (stupidly didn't grab a photo but I was a little sad to do so in hindsight)

This was when we carried out a full overhaul on the top end and luckily being the Manager of a Tuning shop for German cars we had a couple of heads lying around with BWA cams still in so managed to salvage one of those that looked practically new and got that all in.

After all of that was done - bar the thermostats - the car ran 10000x better and was a heck of a lot quieter on idle which was a plus as these tend to sound like tractors usually.

What started out being a cheap daily with scope to KO4/KO3 Hybrid in the future it was soon turning into a money pit (like all cars, who are we kidding) £4750 for the car + another £800 on top worth of parts alone (I don't pay for labour) it was a very expensive stock GTI which was fairly low spec.

I have compiled 4 separate lists of parts that I want to get on the car, line for engine/drivetrain, one for interior bits, one for wheels/suspension and the last for exterior touches.

Engine and drivetrain
fairly simple as I seemed to of done all the maintenance needed within the first week (against my will) but the rest will be done as and when - oh I also managed to grab a Evoms rep Intake from our stockpile of abandoned parts in our store room thats seen better days but that will get a fresh lick of paint and some gold heat wrap and may be upgraded later on to something else.

Wheels and Suspension
* Subframe Bolts + Shims to stop creaking when turning PART NO. N908 235 01 or 7M3 499 349 A DONE
* PowerFlex Anti Lift Kit PFF85-502G
* Eibach Sportline Lowering Spring Kit
Or
* Eibach B12 Sportline Suspension Kit
* Passat aluminium control arms/wishbones (2x 3C0407151G)
* Passat B6/S3 8P aluminium hubs (3C0407257F and 3C0407258F)
* Passat/S3 ball joints (3C0407365B and 3C0407366B)
*Rear ARB (opinions on what you guys are running as I am looking at H&R currently)
*Speedline Turini w PS4
or
*BBS CH 18x8.5 w PS4
Still undecided but I want to get the Suspension sorted first (even though my Monza's are white wormed to hell)

Exterior
* New front Grille (Ebay Special) Ordered
* Lower Honeycomb Grill - Odered
* OS and NS open Fog light surrounds -Ordered
* Rear Bumper lower valance ED30 colour coded
or
*R32 Bumper (need some opinions on this not sure if I want the R32 or the ED30 one)
* R32 Dark Rear Lights
* Veyron Modded Rear Inner Lights £70 (Maybe)
* OEM LED Number Plate Lights 1K8 943 021 C
* Smoked Wing Mirror Indicators - need a link to some good ones on these if someone could help out
* Genuine Carbon Fibre Wing Mirror Covers
* Genuine Polo Roof Aerial - 6R0 035 849D
* Colour coded Side Skirts
* ED30 Front splitter
or
*Votex front splitter

Interior
* Retrimmed Wheel/MK6/7 Wheel? or maybe retrimmed MK5 Wheel but MFSW
* Retrimmed Seats or Replacement Seats?
* GTI Seat handle Inserts (NEED TO FIT BUT WAITING TO SEE IF I BUY A NEW SEAT OR GET THIS ONE RETRIMMED)
* Genuine VW GTI Mats
* Genuine Gear Knob + Surround possibly ED30 (If anyone has one they are selling or know of one please let me know)
* Android Head unit - Thinking RCD330 as a lot of people rave about them but unsure on what seller on eBay most people use
* Cherry Red Hazard Switch - ORDERED
* Passenger and Driver Door Handles
* Window switches, Light Switch and fuel release with highline parts - ORDERED
* Highline Dash Cluster
* Cruise control retrofit
* MK6 Climatronic Unit
* Replacement Gear Shift Paddles - may not need these if I get a new wheel
* Meyle Gas Boot Strut
* Passenger Side Seat Wiring Cover thats currently missing 1k0971981B

Thats as far as the lists go at the moment, if anyone can offer advice or opinions on the above parts that I have highlighted that would be great!

More photos inbound
I spent some of the lock down correcting the paintwork \ never done anything on this level before so I went ahead and got loads of valet pro stuff off a friend who works for them along with a SPTA DA Polisher from Amazon and got to work sorting out all those swirlies.

Much better imo but I don't claim to be a detailer by any means, maybe just a hobbyist.

I have found some rust on 3 of the 4 arches around the car at varying levels of rustiness, but I will address those later as they aren't too bad.

Heres some pics of the interior woes I need to sort

I have some Gloss black Vinyl wrap coming to do the whole central dash facia and Gear selector surround as they have seen better times

Also I have a full set of Window and light switches ordered so these will all be sorted along with new door inner handles as they show signs that a possible werewolf was a previous owner

and a couple of pics of said drivers seat that is crying out for some patch work

Well that about covers it, I will be updating this as and when I do bits so should be fairly regular!

I have always been a forums Build thread nerd, love seeing peoples cars being transformed!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:34:33 pm by Marok »

Offline Marok

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: Marok's United Grey MKK5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 11:35:49 pm »
Also if anyone knows how to get the photos larger as I have just realised they are tiny in comparison to others  :sad1:

Offline Marok

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 11:48:28 am »
Just received the new front grill in the post, its a moulded 1 piece grill with the front number plate holder plastic welded to it......so thats going back and another will be ordered  :mad:

Offline Faz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 11:41:26 pm »
Looking good so far, the paint works come up very nice. Still need to get round to doing mine looks like an abandoned car at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Marok

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 11:22:40 am »
Yeah its had a fair few coats of wax and about 12 hrs spent on it in the last week or so correcting most of the swirls, You've got no excuse  :wink: get out there and get polishing, the weathers perfect today!

Offline Faz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 12:15:37 pm »
Might give it a go today, need to get myself a DA though would make life much easier

Offline Marok

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 12:26:51 pm »
So I spent another day on the car trying to get the paint as good as I could before getting bored/arm started burning/hungry and I think it looks great!

Went the long way to the shops and stopped by a couple of my favourite photo locations while no one was around, abandoned places make for the best photos and especially when the weather was so perfect on Saturday!

Been looking into getting a MK6 DSG MFSW but unsure on exactly what I would need to get it working correctly, my car currently has a non MFSW with paddles as its a DSG, if anyone would share some light on what I may need to make it work I would be most grateful!

Today I have had a bunch of stuff arrive such as MK6 Window Switches, Light Switch and Fuel.
Gold heat reflective tape to wrap the intake
LED Interior Light upgrade kit
and front open fog light grills

More photos to come!

Offline Marok

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 12:28:58 pm »
@Faz I'll be spending today swapping out the interior lights for the new LED bulbs and wrapping my Intake with Gold tape, I got some mean tan lines when I was polishing mine in the 20 degree heat, today would be a much better day!

Offline Marok

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 03:27:23 pm »
LED INTERIOR LIGHT FAIL :mad:

So today I attempted to replace all my interior lights with Lush Uk's LED Interior light Kit, I used this video to follow along to make sure I didn't break any trims trying to pry them off with my heavy handedness .

I successfully changed all the front dome cluster lights and the rear headliner lights, however when I attempted to replace the vanity mirror lights everything went wrong, they led went in fine (however you aren't given a list of what led is supposed to go where so its a bit of a guessing game) and once the led was in none of the other lights in the car will come on now apart from the footwell lights which are still the standard yellow bulbs from factory.

Anyone have any ideas before I lose my rag?

Offline Faz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 01:37:00 pm »
Didn’t get round to doing mine turns out the batteries dead I jump started it a couple of days ago but seems like the batteries on its way out... you could try swapping the bulbs around?

Offline Marok

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 11:07:09 am »
Ahh thats a bummer dude, hope you get that sorted soon dude!

I went through and found a blown interior light fuse (7.5 amp Brown Mini Blade) so swapped that out and hey presto, all good!

Got my intake all wrapped up with gold heat tape but not 100% happy with it as its a little rough on the bends so may redo that at some point but it was more of a practical mod then an aesthetic.

Got a MK6 Arm rest in the post today so may tackle that.