Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine Swap Question!  (Read 1583 times)

Offline MrVW1589

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
  • Eat Sleep VW
    • Email
Engine Swap Question!
« on: April 09, 2020, 10:35:40 am »
is it possible to put mk7 vw golf 2.0 diesel engine in my mk5 1.9tdi golf?
I realise this has a lot of complex issues such as new ecu, driveshafts etc but can anyone give me a definitive answer to whether this is possible? I have a mk5 tdi that ive has for 5 years, spent a lot of money and upgraded a lot of parts and love to bits But it’s on 160k and just thinking ahead for when it dies. I’ve seen 2litre tdi engines from a mk7 recently, found one with only 40k on and is £800. A friend of mine has the mk7 gtd and is a brilliant car with soo much torque. Just wanted to know if any gurus on here could provide me with a list of things I’d need. Many thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Engine Swap Question!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 04:36:07 pm »
Darkside Developments are your guys for this question.  There's nothing they don't know about VAG diesels.

Interesting you liked the 7 GTD.  I found it very underwhelming to be honest!  I found the old MK4 PD engines way punchier!  Is your friends remapped?  They come alive if so.  The factory mapping is bland, even in sport mode.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline John123456

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Engine Swap Question!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 12:54:04 pm »
I'm considering replacing the engine in my car and wanted to get some insights from experienced members. I've come across a https://orbimotors.com/used-car-engines/volkswagen/golf/vw-golf-1-6tdi-81kw-2016-complete-engine-cxx and was wondering if anyone has experience with this particular swap.