Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wiper arms  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
Front wiper arms
« on: April 24, 2020, 08:10:57 pm »
Hi guys my front wiper arms have seen better days and are looking really faded does anybody know the part number for them or any aftermarket ones that fit I’ve been struggling to find any new ones.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
Re: Front wiper arms
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:02:43 pm »
Just try some Autoglym resin polish - mine were oxidised and dull but this worked for me!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 09:51:24 pm »
I replaced my wiper arms last year for the same reason, stone chipped and faded to hell......but they're about £50 each.  You could paint them but it would just chip off even easier than the factory coating.

As above, to keep them looking fresh temporarily, any kind of back to black chemical will work.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 05:22:34 pm »
@Dave J thanks but unfortunately they are well past the point of bringing back to life.

@Pudding thanks £50 a pop is pretty expensive, didn’t think people painted wiper arms but a quick google seems it’s a pretty common thing to do, think I’ll give give it a go first see how they last before getting new ones, did you get yours from a main dealer ?

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 06:38:34 pm »
I painted my MK4 wiper arms.   Go with satin rather than gloss or matt as it looks better. 

Worked a treat and lasted ages.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 07:37:23 pm »
@shail cheers bud, seen satin mentioned a few times so will give that a go, did you use a clear coat as well ?

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 07:48:15 pm »
No clear coat, just cleaned and lightly sanded before I painted.  I did remove them from the car which was a pain in the arse as they were stuck on.  If I did it again I'd just chuck a sheet over the bonnet and windscreen.

For £5 it's worth a go, especially if new arms are £50!

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 09:11:11 pm »
@shail yeh I’ve watched a few YouTube vids showing how to take the wipers off and it looks a pain.
I can’t believe how much new arms are, I can’t even find any new ones in the uk for right hand drive cars, plenty about for the rear screen though.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 07:43:15 pm »
@Dave J thanks but unfortunately they are well past the point of bringing back to life.

@Pudding thanks £50 a pop is pretty expensive, didn’t think people painted wiper arms but a quick google seems it’s a pretty common thing to do, think I’ll give give it a go first see how they last before getting new ones, did you get yours from a main dealer ?

Yeah, dealer.  I've painted wiper arms in the past and it just chips off easily, but as the MK5 wipers are tucked under the bonnet line, you might be OK.   If you want to paint them, I recommend Plastikote Satin black paint.  I did my grill and fog light housings in it a couple of years ago and it's stood up very well.  No need for primers etc, just whack it on  :happy2:

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 08:31:44 am »

Yeah, dealer.  I've painted wiper arms in the past and it just chips off easily, but as the MK5 wipers are tucked under the bonnet line, you might be OK.   If you want to paint them, I recommend Plastikote Satin black paint.  I did my grill and fog light housings in it a couple of years ago and it's stood up very well.  No need for primers etc, just whack it on  :happy2:

This ^^^
Any of the matte black plastic spray type products are perfect. If it gets marked dead easy to just give it another coat of spray to bring back to perfect.
Usually about £10+ per can in ebay.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 05:17:52 pm »
@chigmuss @Pudding cheers guys definitely gonna give this go with the plastikote, I’ve got a spare grill badge that the chrome started coming off so might as well give that A blast as well see how it looks in satin black.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 10:48:13 am »

This ^^^
Any of the matte black plastic spray type products are perfect. If it gets marked dead easy to just give it another coat of spray to bring back to perfect.
Usually about £10+ per can in ebay.

I like the Plastikote brand in particular because it seems to stick to anything with no primers and lasts really well  :happy2:  B&Q used to sell it but I had to get it from Amazon recently.